1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Question about connecting guitar amp to multi track recorder

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by mattcrssngr, Sep 4, 2008.

1. mattcrssngr

mattcrssngr Guest

In the owners manual for the tascam dp-02cf I purchased it says never to connect your speaker output from your guitar amp to the recorder.

Is this a power regulation issue or could it possibly do much harm by doing so..

So is my only option to mic the amp?

2. GeckoMusic

GeckoMusic Guest

That's not your only option, but often the best sounding one. You could also take the line out, or go from your guitar through a DI box and add an amp/cab sim.

(edited to add quote for clarity)

3. DonnyWright

DonnyWright Guest

The speaker output of your amp is the one that goes FROM the power amp of the guitar amp TO the speaker. It has a LOT of voltage. Enough to make a speaker move. Sending this signal INTO your recorder could indeed do some serious damage. And would sound really really bad. For a second or two. Or really good depending on how you look at it, but again, only for a second or two. Then you will have no sound.

There are other outputs on guitar amps designed to go to mixers, recorders, computer interfaces and the like. They are NOT powered by the power amp and could NOT make a speaker go. It's called Line Level. These outputs say things like "Line Out" or "DI out" or "Pre-amp Out." These can safely go to your recorder.

Best to get a DI box ($50-$200) and go to both the amp and the recorder.
    Use mics on amps for the most realistic sound. (IMHO)

4. mattcrssngr

mattcrssngr Guest

Thanks for the quick response, on the particular amp i have which is a cheap vox hybrid tube amp has a headphone output. Do you know if this could be used to connect to the recorder?

5. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Well-Known Member

Don't use the headphone amp unless you have no other choice.

Headphones are small speakers and consequently, the voltage from a headphone jack is slightly higher than a line out.

What else is on the back?

6. mattcrssngr

mattcrssngr Guest

Oh my mistake, it says LINE/PHONE out, there is also just a FOOT SW out which i'm sure wouldnt do much good..

7. Codemonkey

Line/Phone out...
    It's not a headphone amp then. It better not be...

Use it, although you would probably get a decent sound by using a mic in front of it anyway (SM57 if you've got one).

8. mattcrssngr

mattcrssngr Guest

Perfect thanks, i'll give it a try, and yeah I ordered that mic with the recorder!
    I just found this in the specifications for the amp if it matters...
    Power Amp Output: Maximum 15W RMS @ 8 ohms

9. hackenslash

hackenslash Active Member

Best to iuse the mic. I would only use the line out if I had no mics. You have an SM57? That's about the best man for the job. Use that.

10. Greener

Greener Guest

Why would you need to connect an amp to a phone?

11. mattcrssngr

mattcrssngr Guest

I dont know exactly what the term phone is referring to when it comes to an output on an amp, but I dont think its referring to an actual telephone.

12. Codemonkey

Head PHONE.
    As in, a little more powerful than a Line Level Output, suitable for driving headphones to their usual volume of around 100dB.

13. Greener

Greener Guest

Well funk me...

That is pretty simple.

14. Codemonkey

What a concept though...call someone by playing some chords.
    Then play them a solo to power a chord-to-speech engine.