1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Question about Earthworks mics

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by Marik, Dec 14, 2003.

1. Marik

Marik Guest

I heard that Earthworks use cheap Panasonic electret capsules in their mics and then add very good preamps. Is that true???

2. David French

David French Well-Known Member

When I first heard a pair of QTC1s, I was shocked by the realism of the sound, so whatever they're doing, they're doing it right.

3. Marik

Marik Guest

Sure they do. But just out of curiosity--how? So, is that true???

4. David French

David French Well-Known Member

Not sure if they use cheap Panasonic capsules or not. My point was simply this; who cares what they use when the mics sound as good as they do? The best person to ask would be Eric Blackmer. He ca be reached at eric@earthworksaudio.com or 603-654-6427.

5. sdevino

sdevino Active Member

I have used all kinds of Earthworks mics on countless tracks over the past 3 years. They are reliable, low noise, and sound better to me than any Neuman in my closet.

These are awesome mics.

Steve

6. Marik

Marik Guest

Thank you Steve and David

7. Amen! I've gotten the chance to use the SR77s on some string tracks and as drum overheads, and they were amazing. I would really like to own a pair someday. I've got my eyes on the SROs.