1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Question about panning

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Pharaoh, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Pharaoh

Pharaoh Active Member

i have started reading The Mixing Engineer's Handbook and in chapter four i've found a problem which i don't understand it. Will write down the specific context maybe it'll be more clear to you. " So important elements like that i keep up in the middle or maybe like at 10:30 and 1:30" - David Sussman about panning in dance music. What does he mean by 10:30 or 1:30 ? Is he saying that the center of a panometer is 12 ?
    Inputs pls !

2. dvdhawk

dvdhawk Well-Known Member

That's right, he's using a clock reference where the center is 12:00.

7:00 would be panned hard (all the way) to the left
    5:00 would be panned hard (all the way) to the right

10:30 and 1:30 would be a little out of center, but not too far.

3. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Well-Known Member

Of course no that makes any sense if your panoramic potentiometer has center at the six o'clock position.

NOW is the center - 3 DB down? Or, - 4.5? 6.0? No center loss? It's one thing to place a sound it's another to create motion. And a lot has to do whether you want to be mono compatible or not?

Fun with panoramic potentiometers
    Mx Remy Ann David

4. dvdhawk

dvdhawk Well-Known Member

I think Remy needs a joystick.

5. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Well-Known Member

It costs a lot of money to get rid of joysticks and even more money to try and obtain them.

Make mine pot based
    Mx. Remy Ann David

6. soapfloats

soapfloats Well-Known Member

I get as much or more out of Remy's little nuggets than I do from anything else - be it knowledge or entertainment - or usually both!

Seriously Pharaoh, study her words. They may seem nonsense at first, but you'll find great insight if you look closely.