1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Question about the brick

Discussion in 'Preamps / Channel Strips' started by perfectwave, Jun 1, 2005.

1. perfectwave

perfectwave Guest

I just purchased a brick a couple weeks ago. So far everytime iv'e set it up to use it on a project i end up not using it, becuase it is too "hot". I am familiar with the fact that it automatically adds +25db to the signal with the gain all the way down. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if so is there a way to possibly add a "pad" or something to the signal. So far ive tried using it on the bottom of a snare with a ksm 32 with the pad on the mic on going through a motu 2408mk3,
    With the gain all the way down i was clipping my converter. I know i had the digital gain down on the converter so that was'nt the problem. I tried moving the mic a couple more inches away from the snare , but still had a verry hot signal. I ended up not using it for the sake of too much bleed on that mic at a workable distance. so far this has happened to me in 3 different situations. Im thinking of taking it back. What should i do?

2. Markd102

Markd102 Well-Known Member

It sounds like you are using a mic (XLR) input on the MOTU?
    This is a no no. Use a TRS 1/4" line level input on the back of the MOTU.

3. perfectwave

perfectwave Guest

yeah im using the +4 option on the in's for my motu, this is not good? Im using the balanced in's for noise rejection. I know theres no further amplification in the signal path going in to the motu balanced , I just figured it's still good for noise rejection? The 2408mk3 does not have any mic pres..just d/a a/d conversion. I'll have to try on the -10 see what happens??? huh....got me thinking again on it hahaha. The reason i bought the brick is becuase i herd sooo much good stuff about it here, Ill play around with that see what happens. I also have some trident and focusrite pre's... should i be running into the motu non balanced also....Im not having this problem with those pre's.

4. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

No you should run it into the line inputs .... don't worry about nose the output of The Brick is line level.

5. perfectwave

perfectwave Guest

The output of the brick is balanced xlr, so how would i go about connecting it to the motu? My in's on the motu are optional +4 or -10 trs through the same jack. Can i just run balanced cable with -10 selected?

6. Markd102

Markd102 Well-Known Member

Yes....Try it

7. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

You should have +4 line inputs to make the most of The Brick ... I am surprised that tthe MOTU doesn't have that ability ... actually I suspect that is does. Look into it.

8. frob

frob Well-Known Member

you need a cable goes from xlr to trs, then plug the trs end into the line input on the motu

9. perfectwave

perfectwave Guest

yeah that's how im doing it at the moment, I was just wondering with that setup if i select the input to -10 on that jack in the motu instead of +4. The motu gives that option in the options panel +4 or -10 for each input jack. The original problem im having is that the brick automatically adds +25db of gain with the gain knob all the way down, My motu is clipping with the gain knob on the brick all the way down. I havent had a chance to get into the studio yet to see if switching over to -10 is gonna make a difference. Ill probably get in there tomorrow and let you guys know. Thanks everybody for your help so far.

10. perfectwave

perfectwave Guest

That's the way i have it connected at the moment , but with the gain knob all the way down on the brick im still clipping my converter, like the auto +25db on the brick is too much with a condenser mic?? Not quite sure whats going on here? Like i said with the pad on on the mic i had to move the mic too far away from the source to efficently use.

11. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

-10 will only make it worse. -10 is more sensitive than +4 so the overload would be worse. Are you sure it isn't set at -10 already instead of +4.

I'm not sure if this is true with the Motu stuff but I think with Mackie unbalanced ins are about 6db less sensitive than balanced. So inserting a TS acts as a -6db pad. Try an XLR to TS converter and see if it helps.