1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

QUestion about this vocal effect

Discussion in 'Vocals' started by multoc, Dec 17, 2007.

1. multoc

multoc Active Member

http://myspace.com/therefortomorrow has a song called "Wrong Way To Hide"

The vocalist in this band I am mixing (for the last 6 months because the vocalist wants millions of things changed, and then disappears for a while - but they've paid my half up front so I'm stuck so far ANYWAY) wants this filtered doubled effect that pops up in the chorus, it's the first response "we have grown up to be [or something]"

If anyone knows what this effect is called or how I might achieve it I would appreciate it, because I just want to get this project OFF my hard drive and put away!

I'm sure it's some ProTools plugin preset that I don't own ha but like I said if you can give me a signal chain to set this effect up I will love you for it!

Thanks in advance!

btw don't whine about myspace quality because I've listened to this song as CD quality - or close to it as I'm not sure what iTunes is sending songs out these days - but I couldn't get it into an mp3 for you guys, but it's close and not terribly different and the effect is the same for the voice regardless

2. bent

bent No Bad Vibes! Well-Known Member

Oh, yeah, that's the "We sound like everything else on Hollywood Records" plugin!
    :lol:

Seriously,
    That sounds like a plugin by Waves called Enigma, it creates a tubular flanged phasey sound.
    http://www.waves.com/content.aspx?id=248

It kinda sounds like a Vocoder in there as well...

3. multoc

multoc Active Member

Wow only $150 for that thing huh? Nice, ha ha yeah I know that's what I told him but he's an insistent bugger.

4. multoc

multoc Active Member

Any other possible ideas besides that one?

5. It could just be the myspace quality (not complaining), but I don't hear the answers as sounding much different from the lead vocals. iZotope Vinyl (freeware) paired with a native chorus/phaser may get you close.

6. Lerxst

Lerxst Guest

Might not be a plug at all. Could just be a microshift on a second vocal track.

~Lerxst

7. bent

bent No Bad Vibes! Well-Known Member

You can make a very similar sound by cutting the lows and highs (think telephone bandwidth) and as Patrick said - throw a chorus, phaser, or flanger on it. Each will get you very close to the effect you're looking for.