1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

quick question about stereo y-cable

Discussion in 'Accessories / Connections' started by ThirdBird, Feb 17, 2010.

  1. ThirdBird

    ThirdBird Active Member

    I know they are commonly used for effect insert loops, but can i use them to go from a single 1/4 headphone out port to left and right 1/4 jack using the said stereo y-cable?

  2. TheJackAttack

    TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

    Yes, though a headphone jack amp circuit is generally noisy and fairly hot for a normal line level input. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do but it ain't optimal.
  3. ThirdBird

    ThirdBird Active Member

    oops, I forget to mention that the headphone out is going to a headphone amp.... not for recording anything. thanks!
  4. ThirdBird

    ThirdBird Active Member

    Hosa STP202 | Sweetwater.com

    would this work?
  5. TheJackAttack

    TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

    Those insert Y cables are 1/4" TRS on one end and two 1/4" TS cables on the destination end. The whole path is unbalanced which is one reason the stock cables are generally so darn short. Source T+S goes to one destination TS and source R+S goes to the other destination TS.

    If your headphone amp accepts unbalanced 1/4" L and 1/4" R then you are in business with a headphone jack as a source. I'm not sure I made any sense there.
  6. ThirdBird

    ThirdBird Active Member

    I found this in the manual:

    1/4” TRS stereo unbalanced (front and rear)
    1/4” TRS mono balanced - Left channel (rear only)
    1/4” TRS mono balanced - Right channel (rear only)

    What kind of Y-cable would I need? or do I even need one?
  7. TheJackAttack

    TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

    What brand of head phone dist amp do you have?
  8. ThirdBird

    ThirdBird Active Member

    dod 460h

    DOD headphone amplifier SR 460H - eBay (item 170446719993 end time Feb-20-10 06:50:06 PST)
  9. Boswell

    Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

    All you need to use is a TRS-TRS stereo cable. Ideally this should be a separately-screened dual-channel cable, not a balanced mono cable. Take it from your headphone output to either the front or the rear TRS input jack on the headphone amp. In the absence of a dual-mono cable, a standard insert cable to go from the TRS source to the individual L and R inputs on the rear panel of the DOD would be equally good, and certainly better than a balanced TRS cable.

Share This Page