1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

quiet fans

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Ben Godin, Dec 24, 2004.

1. Ben Godin

Ben Godin Active Member

Hey everyone, i'm looking for some better fans for my DAW. I need a "silent" (20db) cpu fan, and 3 case fans (also silent) (2 intake and 1 exhaust).

Does anyone have any links to fans that they consider of good quality? Any help will be much great.

2. Randyman...

Randyman... Well-Known Member

Just get some high-quality dual BB fans, and hook them up to a speed controller (Nexus, and others make them for a 3.5" or 5.25" bay). I would NOT slow down your processor fan too much, but the case and PS fans can be slowed down a good deal. Just be sure to monitor your temps during this process, and make sure to get good full-load readings (like benchmarking with Si-Soft Sandra for 12 Hours). You DON'T want to find out your PC is running hot when it CRASHES on a full mix!

Also, some MoBo's already have variable fan speed control (temperature proportional) built in, they just have to be enabled in the BIOS (Asus comes to mind).

:cool:

3. Ben Godin

Ben Godin Active Member

thanks Randyman, i'll look into the Nexus, has anyone heard of the SilenX series. they claim 11dbA which doesn't sound too bad.

4. BladeSG

BladeSG Guest

For a quiet CPU HSF setup have a look at the Zalman 7000. SilenX products have had marvellous reviews. They make a silent PSU (fanless) called Luxurae, which is expensive. A company from the USA also make a fanless design which is a little cheaper than the SilenX. These PSU are new and I cannot find a URL for it but from memory the company is called 'Topower'.

5. boheme6

boheme6 Guest

Zalman on CPU
    SilenX (120mm if you can fit it) on intake/exhaust (both on fan controllers)
    Seasonic Super Tornado power supply.
    Dynamat on the inside of the case.

QUIET!!!
    "-)