1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

R101 too much for tape?

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by Steve@Russo, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Steve@Russo

Steve@Russo Active Member

Thinking about getting a pair for OH. Too much to match with going to tape? I afraid things might be too dull. I have used a sf24 a bunch, but I was recording straight into PT.

2. Paul999

Paul999 Active Member

Great question. Depending on the deck you are using I think this would be fine. I found I still needed to tame highs quite a bit going to tape with km84's. Some of this was because of the DolbyS on my unit. I haven't used the 101's but if I liked them in my DAW I'd use them on tape with out a second thought.

3. Steve@Russo

I am using a 8516b, I will have it by Wed the latest I will let everyone know, I have a band coming in, high gain stuff that I plan to use the 101 on high gain guitar to tape w/ md421 daking/api pre amps

4. Paul999

Paul999 Active Member

That sounds like a fun gig. If you are using a tape machine you are not familiar with it is smart to take a feed for you DAW as well as a back up. I always do this when I use tape. Once and a while you'll get a drop out or something funky will happen. A backup is smart.

5. Steve@Russo

I actually run through a daw for 6 of my pres so I always have it running!