1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Radio stations and Publishing

Discussion in 'Studio Lounge' started by Henchman, Sep 28, 2002.

1. Henchman

Henchman Active Member

This is something I've wondered about. Why shoyuldn't commercial radio stations have to pay more per play?Let's say sation plays 15 songes per hour. And they had to pay $1,- per play. That's $15,- per hour. Pretty low price to use a product to generate all trhat advertising money.

Also why can't they do exact playlist pay-out. In this day and age, a phone company can keep records of every single long distance phone call placed by millions of customers. But ASCAP and BMI can't keep track of every single radio playlist via computer, thereby distributing the money 99% accurately.

If commercial radiostations payed more, then the need of relying so much on record slaes would decline, and artists would be more independant, and therfore have more bargaining power.

Also as an artust/songwriter I would allow free use of my stuff for non-profit, commercial free radio stations and internet broadcast.

I think it's time to try and change the way the industry places value on songs and songwriters.

2. you must take into consideration that, in all reality, most of the industry doesn't like their artists having control and freedom, they just want what makes them money.

3. CustomProd

CustomProd Guest

Henchmen....I agree.

Being in radio for the last 16 years, I've seen more than my share of ASCAP and BMI song logs. Its 2-days of hell. I'd love to just let a computer spit out the playlists for the last 24-hours and not have to get writers cramps.

The problem exists, and has history too, in good old fashioned "Pay/Plugola". Being that the info would be in a digital format, it would be suseptable to manipulation from the DJ in the booth, to any number of persons up the reporting chain. The other problem exists in the radio stations equipment itself. AudioVault and the SS32 systems CAN spit out a playlist for the entire day/week. What it can't do is tell you which songs were deleted from each hour due to the DJ editing the list for requests (more missed log info not on playlist) and deleted songs due to time constraints.

Under the current system that I'm familiar with, everthing is hand written. Date/time played, artist, song, and songwriter(s). Information written by hand cannot be effectivly disputed.

Again...I agree that it should be a digital reporting system, but until they can work out the issues for play accuracy and for security, we're stuck with the current system.

At least on the Radio side.

Hope this helps,

CustomProd

4. UncleBob58

UncleBob58 Active Member

Home Page:
    Also keep in mind that airplay is advertising for the bands in question. So is MTV, MuchMusic, etc. If people don't hear the music they won't buy it.

Does anyone remember Don Kirschner's TV concert series from the 70's? ABC also ran a weekly show. And Midnight Special; I used to sneak downstairs after my folks went to sleep to watch! I discovered bands there that weren't getting airplay and went out and bought the (vinyl) albums.

A promoter/agent/manager told me once early in my career that you should consider your record to be advertising, a way of attracting people to your shows. Most bands don't make money on their albums, they make it on the road.