1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Rap Vocals and Setup?

Discussion in 'Vocals' started by Mongoose540i, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Mongoose540i

Mongoose540i Guest

Hey everyone -- me and my friend record rap music, and for the past year or so we've been currently using the Samsung C01U USB Studio Condenser Mic. An enormous improvement over the built-in microphones on his computer! Just plug in to the USB port, and it's ready to record.

But we're looking to upgrade. We're almost 100% positive that we'll be purchasing a Shure SM7b, but seeing that we've been using USB microphones for the past year, we have no idea on how to go about setting up a professional microphone.

From what I understand, the Shure SM7b is a dynamic mic so it doesn't need any 'phantom power' -- correct me if i'm wrong. Will we just be good with something like the M-AUDIO Fast Track USB (http://www.m-audio.com), or should we get a soundcard like the E-MU 0404 Digital Audio System Pro Soundcard (http://www.musiconmypc.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/164).

In other words, besides the microphone, what else would we need for a good setup for a crisp, professional sound? Keep in mind that we don't know exactly what it is we need -- we're just looking for a good setup! Budget doesn't matter at the moment, but we're not ones who are ready to spend thousands on equipment either.

Thanks!! :D

2. casper

casper Guest

Look into the Presonus Firebox it has good mic premps, MIDI I/O, and Inst.inputs. If you need Phono input the Presounus Inspire has that as well as the mic pres and inputs but no MIDI. You can always add a USB to MIDI interface. EMU also has some good interfaces. You also need a keyboard contoller. There is a lot to pick from some even have the finger pads like the Akai groove boxes. Maudio, Edirol, Korg, Novation, CME... or if you have a keyboard with midi you can connect it up. The main thing is to do everything in the computer. You should just have to add your vocals. A good program to use for sequence loop oriented music is Ableton Live. If you can get a demo from the website I would give it a try. Some of these interfaces will come with a Lite version of this.

Its best if your interface has everything built in and you use firewire or USB its a lot easier to deal with. Make sure to get a decent pair of headphones (like sennheiser HD280). Latter you can invest into studio monitors to run your mixes through.