1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

audio Rate my new funk jam - Pink At First Slap

Discussion in 'Fix This MIX!' started by stevie_m, Jun 29, 2014.

1. stevie_m

stevie_m Active Member

View: https://soundcloud.com/stephan-mathos/pink-at-first-slap-9b

Funk-rock track off my new solo project. I think it sounds pretty good, but maybe I'm just insane? I am in dire need of reassurance and/or critique. I've listened to my tracks so much now that I'm naturally adapted to them, so I want to try them on some fresh ears. Specifically, I'd like to hear opinions of my track based on these two points:

1. How it sounds from an emotional perspective. Barring any technical/production impurities, does the track have soul and balls? Does it move you? Is it unique/interesting? How does it sound from the perspective of the AVERAGE listener?

2. How it sounds from a professional/commercial standpoint. Quality of the recording and the mix.

**Note: I realize I use a lot of reverb, but I feel it adds to the "coked out" ambiance I want for this jam**

Thanks so much guys!

2. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Well-Known Member

Conceptually I like your mix. Critically speaking, the drums are lost. They should be predominant and they're not. It should kick ass. But it feels like a wet noodle.

I don't think you used too much reverb? It's an effect, well executed.

I don't put much credence into this as a commercial release. To me it's not ready. And no, it has no balls. None. It's a nondescript slather of sound. The vocals are cool however. So at least one element works. What about the rest?

Take two
    Mx. Remy Ann David

3. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

a great example of how a song critique post should be done ... with specific questions.

it doesn't sound like "FUNK" in the least to me. it actually reminds me of a lot of the stuff the bands in San Francisco played back in the 60's .....

for once i agree with Remy (i'm a-scared!) in that the drums should be louder ... so should the bass. other than that, i think it sounds fine.