1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Rca recording out help!!!

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Peperoni, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Peperoni

Peperoni Guest

Ok so. I have a 12 Channel mixer(soundcraft efx) and i record with it into reaper v3.1415

I works really nice..but the RCA rec output sends the master mix into reaper.. is their a way to send the channels seperately into reaper??? i want to gate and eq and play around with each drum indevidualy withought changing the whole drum mix..is this possible??

The mixer is pluged directley into the ps's mic slot. i only have an onboard sound card.

I am new to recording and if anyone can help..you'll defenitely help alot and i will really be very grateful

Thank you very much!!
  2. jg49

jg49 Distinguished Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Frozen Tundra of CT
    Welcome to RO. I see you did figure out which forum to post in, you should be able to delete your other post, best not to double post. The short answer is no you can't simultaneously bring more than two channels into a stereo soundcard. You would need some type of interface in order to do so.
  3. Peperoni

Peperoni Guest

Thank you!! should the Mic's then be plugged into the interface withought needing the mixer at all? would a presounus fire studio work?

p.s i've delete the post ;)
  4. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Moderator Resource Member

Mar 20, 2008
    currently Billings
    Yes. Plug the microphones directly into the interface preamps. How many channels do you need? If you need more than 8 get an interface that can either be daisy chained and/or has ADAT for expansion purposes. Some favorite interface recommendations would be FF400 or FF800 (or the new Fireface UC I suppose), TC Electronics Konnekt 48; or for mixer interfaces the Mackie Onyx 1640i or 1620i or 1220i, Yamaha 01V96, Presonus Studio Live.

Mixers are great for live sound but not necessary for studio/home recording at all.