Re-Mastering Business

Discussion in 'Mastering' started by Mike Brown, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Mike Brown

Mike Brown Guest

I have been a mastering engineer for the past 5 years. MasterWork recording has been the prime mastering house in Philadelphia since 1972. Mastering all the great Philly International Hits.

I am very much interested in the remastering market. I have all the gear I need as well as software. Can any engineer or studio owner tell me how to market this service?

Thank You
    Michael Brown
  2. Thomas W. Bethel

Thomas W. Bethel Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Oberlin, OH
    Home Page:
    I would suggest you find someone who needs your services and fulfill their needs.

I am sure there are lots of people in the world who may need your services.

The trick, as in all business dealings, is to find the ones that need your services and provide that service for them.

Maybe an ad in a local or national publication would help get you started.

You also have to have good creditals and lots of experience with similar projects that you have done in your studio that you can impress someone enough with so that they will hire you.

Word of mouth advertising in mastering is the best and cheapest form of advertising you can get. That is the way most business comes to our mastering facility.

How about calling up some of your past clients and asking them if they know someone who could use your new service? They may know someone or know of someone. It is called networking and is the best way to find new clients.

If you have always done an outstanding job for your clients then there should be no question about your abilites and they should be more than forthcoming with names and contacts if they have them.

If, as you say, you have been in mastering for the past five years you should have quite an impressive listing of clients to draw upon.

Just some ideas from one who has been there....done that.