1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Real Gone Sounds

Discussion in 'Accessories & Connections' started by Jeemy, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Jeemy

Jeemy Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2003
    I wanted to try and make a thread about ultimate sounds.

Recently things that have caught my eye:

Vinnie's drum sound on 'Vulgar Display of Power' - this really metallic, click-sound of drums that still has meat

Eric Johnson's backing guitar sound on 'Pavillion' and 'SRV' - the incredibly 80s, chiming chorus sound

John Butler - crunch acoustic guitar, using a 9-string

Thoughts on sounds you like and equipment you use to get them........

don't worry i will post my thoughts just popping this as a placeholder
  2. soapfloats

soapfloats Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Cincinnati, OH
    Home Page:
    Somethings I personally did recently that worked really well...

1. We wanted to try and create "footsteps" (big ones) for a song called "Dinosaur Jaws".
    After trying several different things w/ floor toms and kick drums, it hit me:
    We took an out-of-tune (loose), rickety old kick drum and pulled the front head off, then I mic'd it w/ a ribbon a few feet in front.
    When the fella hit it just so, we got exactly the sound we wanted.

This and a pre-occupation w/ mic'ing a drum kit M/S led to me something else I've been playing w/ lately -
    Using a ribbon as a "front" mic on the kit. Place it a few feet in front and a little above the kick, and you'll get all the meat of the kit.
    This works well w/ a spaced pair of OHs, and I've even mixed it in w/ a full kit, sort of a "near" room mic.
    With a big LPF, and plenty of compression, it can really add some thump and pulse to a kit recording.