1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Really good isolation headphones

Discussion in 'Monitoring / Headphones' started by WRX07, Apr 25, 2005.

1. WRX07

WRX07 Guest

What's a pair of headphones that has really good isolation and sound quality? Like sit placing a mic right in front of a screaming half-stack and be able to hear the mic placement kind of isolation. Right now I have Sony MDR-V600, Sony MDR-V900 and Sony MDR-7506. Thank you

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/240170/ ?

2. Reggie

Reggie Well-Known Member

I have those Extreme Iso phones and they are alright. However, I would probably recommend these instead:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/search/detail/base_pid/242411/

3. WRX07

WRX07 Guest

Reggie, why would you suggest the sennheisers instead?

4. TeddyG

TeddyG Well-Known Member

32 db attenuation? 99 bucks? Sennheiser? Hard to believe one could do better?

Still doesn't say it'll do "all you want", as most things aren't perfect and you're asking ALOT!

TG

5. Boltino

Boltino Guest

The Sennheisers are great headphones; very flat with good isolation. I also have a pair of extreme isoloation headphones which don't sound nearly as good, but have quite a bit more isolation than the Sennheisers (especially for drums). It just comes down to what's more important to you: isloation or transparency.

Wes

6. maintiger

maintiger Well-Known Member

I do second the senns- I've been recording a loud percussionist and hardly anything gets in the track if at all

7. sproll

sproll Active Member

Sennheisers - go with those! :cool:

8. frob

frob Well-Known Member

i used the Sennheisers for a long time (before i could aford my own monitors) they are great cans.

9. axel

axel Guest

yeah, hd 280, good sound, good isolation, comfy to wear over long hours and modular, you break a part, you replace a part.
    for 100 dollars.... need to say more??

10. maintiger

maintiger Well-Known Member

see, looks like everyone loves their senns

11. WRX07

WRX07 Guest

So...HD-280's? Right? :D . Thanks guys gonna order a pair from Sweetwater in the next few days

12. Screws

Screws Active Member

I haven't personally found 32 db to be enough isolation to make the right mic choices when standing in front of a screaming 4x12, kick drum or snare drum.

But, after trying these, I spent the $285 gladly.

http://www.remoteaudio.com/hn7506.htm

45db isolation! Pricey, but my tracks have improved 1000%.

13. JBsound

JBsound Guest

For under $100, the Sennheiser HD-280's are definitely the way to go.

14. LittleDogAudio

LittleDogAudio Active Member

The Sennheiser's are certainly a good choice but also look into the Beyerdynamic 770's. I think they are a better sounding headphone than the Senn's and have better isolation.

Chris

15. WRX07

WRX07 Guest

I could go up to $300 on the price. My Sony's all sound pretty good, so I'm really looking for something with really good isolation.

16. Screws

Screws Active Member

The Remote Audio's use the Sony 7506 element - something I was already very familiar with.

17. frob

frob Well-Known Member

thats a great idea but i think to expencive. at least for a drummer.

18. Randyman...

Randyman... Well-Known Member

Wow. Those Remote Audio HP's look killer! How are the sonics compared to a "real" pair of 7506's? I currently use 2x 7506, and 1x V900 Sony's (like the 7509's - expensive cans), but I STILL need more isolation for mic placement in front of a loud kit or Guitar Amp, and also for tracking my drums (My ears ring relentlessly after the lovely 110dB click tracks :( ).

I am tempted to try the Extreme Isolation HP's, but I have heard they sound 100% awful. Any comments there? Using these for mic placement seems like shooting yourself in the foot IMO. What about the "Vic Firth" model? Sound?

What will be the BEST sounding (accurate, or even a bit "Hi-Fi") HP's with 40dB of attenuation? The Remote Audio's have my attention for now, but some more user input is appreciated.

:cool:

19. JBsound

JBsound Guest

Whoa! - Those Remote 7506's look friggin sweet!

20. Screws

Screws Active Member

I own two pair of the Extreme Isolations and can tell you they are great for musicians - especially drummers. But for critical listening - nah!

The Remotes are in a whole different league. I can make crucial mic choice and placement decisions with them and hear very clearly what the differences are. Of course, I'm used to the sound of 7506s so these were the perfect choice for me.