1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Realtek High Tech Audio - Crashes

Discussion in 'Recording' started by HoyHoy, Jul 10, 2005.

1. HoyHoy

HoyHoy Guest

Hello recording friends,

I'm hoping some of you might be able to help me regarding using integrated on board audio, line in recording. Specifically using a Intel mother board.

I recently put together a computer that I purchased from Tiger Direct. The motherboard (a Intel D915GAG) was bundled with the case, power supply, keyboard and mouse and I chose a P4 3.0 chip to go with it. I liked the fact that the on board Intel "High Definition Audio" was rated very good - and to save burying a separate audio card (the mobo only has two PCI and one PCI Express slots) this was the way to go for recording into my computer.
    - After I had the computer up and running for a week or two, with no problems, I tried to record, for the first time, via the rear line in on the mobo (set-up correctly). As soon as I hit "record", in my recording program, the computer crashed and rebooted. It happens every time I try to record. The line out on the mobo plays sounds back out just fine and I've tried other sources for the line in but as soon as I hit the "record" button in the program(s) the computer crashes and reboots.
    - I've checked the cables and the signal.
    - I've tried 3 different sound programs (Musicmatch, SoundForge and Exact Audio) that allow recording-in and all crash the same way.
    - I've down-loaded the latest drivers for audio and BIOS
    - I contacted Intel (via email) and they suggested I run a BIOS recovery, which I did, but It still crashes when I hit record.
    - I contacted Intel again then said: notify your place of purchase for any warranty/repair issues and to call Intel to authorize replacement.

Now, before I do this (and hassle with removing, shipping back the mobo and waiting), have any of you heard of this type of problem or problems like this and does it sound like a defect or is there something I have not yet tried, like, some driver, XP or software setting?

Here's some of my system info:
    Realtek High Tech Audio - driver vrsn.
    DirectX 9.0c
    BIOS vrsn. EV91510A.86A.0444.2005.0429.2108 4/29/2005
    WindowsXP Home Vrsn.2002 -SP 2
    Pentium 4 3.oGHz
    1GB PC3200 DDR 400MHz RAM

Thanks, in advance, for any help you can give me.
    Chet - a.k.a. HoyHoy
  2. HoyHoy

HoyHoy Guest

:cry: After posting the above;
    I did a search for Realtek intel and read several posts relating to mobo audio problems.
    Scott - ADK said; "in the future do not buy anything with onboard video, its generally a sign of " not the best" motherboard.

I guess I should add; I too am using the mobo's on board (Intel)video.
    Thanks again, HoyHoy

Oh ya, Before one of you Mac cats tell me - what we all know you want to tell me - Please don't! We're Mac based at work (graphics) and I love them (even when they TOO crash) I wish I had one, but for home use, I got more for my buck going PC and 99% (OK, 95%) of the time, they ( I have two desktop and one laptop) work great.
    Again, please keep posts to my original question.