1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Reamp'er

Discussion in 'Electronic Repair Modifications DIY' started by Link555, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Link555

Link555 Well-Known Member

This is a link to my blog, in case any body wants to try this simple circuit ...out let me know....I would love some feedback....no pun intended;)

recording.org/blogs/link555/217-re-amp-box.html#comment519

2. Link555

OK so the build is done and testing is on-going. So far I want to make few minor changes. The impedance pot as suggest by Jensen is a nice tone shaper! But a pot may not as repeatable as switched resistors. The OPAMP drivers sound very clean, but I want to add an attenuator before them. I am wondering at this point if the gain pot is needed? Do I really want to overdrive the input of the amps? So far so good.

3. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Neat project, Link.

What are you driving the op-amp outputs of the device into - are they feeding the guitar amps? The gain controls you have on the op-amps can be set to unity, so there is little point in stripping them out. I can understand that the raw output of the interface is too much for the inputs of the guitar amps. You might be better off wiring in a fixed pad of 20dB or more in the amp channels and then using the gain adjust if needed. Most re-amp boxes I have used offer attenuations going up to at least 40dB.

4. Link555

Thanks Boswell!

Here is where this started from
    http://www.jensentransformers.com

Yes a Pad would be a good idea. Rev 1 here we come ;) Last night I changed where I tapped the op-amps from pin one of the pot to the wiper, and that gives a bit of a divider to the input of the opa2134's. Which helps.... I am running these op-amps straight into different guitar amps.

I saw another circuit where they used a inductor to feed the guitar amplifier, to simulate a guitar output. Personally I like the tone not dragged down, Maybe for a distortion sound this would sound smoother.

I am happy with this prototype now, but if I get back to it I will lower available gain to the op-amps, add a few switchable pads and simplify the ground lift switches.