1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Reamping Guitar Tracks

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by imacgreg, Mar 5, 2002.

1. imacgreg

imacgreg Guest

Hey,
    I recently did a recording of a local punk band and miced their Mesa Boogie half-stacks, but also took a direct signal from their guitars and recorded thawt straight into the soundcard. Now that I have these tracks that are just guitar ittno direct box, how do I get them back to the amp at a reasonable level? My direct box is really just a "Mic Eliminator" which is active, so I don't think it goes both ways. If I get a normal Direct box that is passive, can I just use this backwards? I know there are a couple of products just for this, are they expensive? Are they really different than any other direct box?

Thanks,
    Ian

2. dynamo12

dynamo12 Guest

3. genebail

genebail Guest

Get a ReAmp. It works great.
    Gene

4. Sir Bob

Sir Bob Member

;) Oh, so that's what a ReAmp does!

5. anonymous

anonymous Guests

I won a ReAmp in a raffle drawing from Pro Audio Design. To be honest, I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but it is a cool purple color!

6. rivers

rivers Member

I used a Art Tube thingy preamp/di to reamp some tracks,seem to work well. Maybe not as cool as the reamp but it's about the only thing the Art has sounded decent on....

7. Bear's Gone Fission

Bear's Gone Fission Active Member

A passive direct box can work. It doesn't always provide the best level match to the input of whatever you're sending it to, but it's better than the +4 output out of your deck, say. The beauty of the Reamp is supposed to be the ability to fine tune the level. Should we reverse engineer one over in the tech forum?

Bear

8. rivers

rivers Member

I would be interested in trying to build a poor mans version of the Reamp...seems like s fun project and couldn't be all that hard.

9. imacgreg

imacgreg Guest

I would also be interested in figuring out how the reamp works and how I could make a simplified version that just takes my +4 out to a guitar amp. I know quite a bit of basic electronics, but not enough to just figure it out on my own. So what does the reamp do electronically? Does it just match gain and impedence? Does it use a transformer to do this?

Ian

10. Get a good sounding passive DI like a Radial JDI and a shure in-line variable pad and you've got your reamp. Best of all, they can be used for a lot of stuff around the studio... ;)

11. Bear's Gone Fission

I've never laid hands on a real ReAmp. Is it just a passive device? Then the di box at a variable pad should indeed be enough. If there is that little to it, we could naturally try to trick it out with a splitter, say, for parallel processing.

Bear

12. I'm just now realizing that this post started with a punk band playing through mesa boogies! :roll:

But the old punks certainly appreciated fine gear- lots of Les Pauls, Flying V's, and that, mostly through Marshalls.
    I always thought a little combo amp would be more "punk" than an arena rig, but I must still be a little unclear on what's punk.
    Ted :confused:

13. imacgreg

imacgreg Guest

Ted,
    What a lot of people call "punk" now is very different from the original punk. I don't know how to explain it, but I guess some of the "new punk" bands would be Pennywise, NOFX, The Ataris, Blink 182 (mainstream). Anyway, this "punk" I recorded was by a bunch of sophmores in high school whose parents had bought them some pretty nice stuff. They were actually very good at what they played, which I guess isn't very punk either! I guess the reason why I took a direct out of these guy's amps in the first place was so that I could send their tracks to my Marshall JCM800. I know what a pad does, but can one be made easily?

Ian

14. Actually the old SF punks were very good at what they did, and had rigorous standards for tone and unflagging energetic precise performance. Just their horizons were a bit limited... I think "Communication Breakdown" was the model, and a a certain classic punk guitar solo (the solos were the first to go, then later unrelenting intensity became optional as well) is basically modeled after that one- check out the solo on the Bad Brains' "Sailing On".
    I'll post a link to some do it yourself pad instructions. The fanatic thing to do would be to have a switchable set of pads- a stepped attenuator. What might work perfectly well is a continuous passive attenuator with a potentiometer. Not sure how to make one of these, but I have one that comes in handy in a number of situations.
    Ted

15. Bear, why not mult the direct gtr track output to 2 high quality passive DI and variable pad setups if you want to feed two amps? Unless your recorder has a really flimsy output stage it should be able to handle the load. If worst comes to worst you could do two passes with different amp setups. ;) :p :w:

16. Bear's Gone Fission

Because I'm a cheapskate, Groundcontrol, and while I think Jensen iron is worth every penny, it still pains me to buy it. ;) Otherwise, an excellent point, since everyone should have at least two di boxes and two pads, anyway. On pads, I think you're better off saving time and effort and getting the Shures, since whatever you cook up isn't likely enough to sound better.

Oh, also, I do all my reamping on mixdown. I don't have tracks to burn, and I have the advantage of only introducing it when needed (if the original track works, why bother?) and also tailoring the tone to the whole mix.

Bear

17. anonymous

anonymous Guests

18. anonymous

anonymous Guests

http://www.littlelabs.com/pcp.html

the deluxe re-amper box

:)

19. Bear's Gone Fission

I've been drooling over that one for a while, Jules. One of the things on my "when I win the lottery" shopping list.

Bear

20. clintrubber

clintrubber Guest

Just wondering if it's all about the right levels here - or is there any impedance stuff involved as well ? Like simulation of the output-impedance of a guitar-pickup ?

Thanks,

Peter