1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Recommend me a pair of monitors

Discussion in 'Monitoring / Headphones' started by Creative Mind, May 23, 2011.

1. Creative Mind

Creative Mind Active Member

I'm looking for a pretty good pair of monitors for mixing Hip Hop and Reggae music mostly. I'm not working on a budget because I want to get something pretty good, true, flat and minimal if colored. I was looking on the Focal, krk vxt8, dynaudio and genelec
    Thanks!

2. Blue Note

Blue Note Guest

HD-1 : High Definition Audio Monitor

PMC Ltd

RL 903K

Georg Neumann GmbH - Professional Monitoring

Any of those should make you a very happy man..
    :)

3. Creative Mind

Creative Mind Active Member

Thanks man, gonna do some search on them.

4. csi

csi Active Member

Of course there are a few things to consider;

Budget
    Room and if treated properly
    Ported or Non-Ported speakers - Non-Ported will be more accurate but generally much more expensive.

If your room is a mess you may want to consider some high end headphones.
    If you have deep pockets then both of these issues won't be a problem.
    I have Yamaha's HS80M's and have a nicely treated room so they sound quite good and the reviews on them were very solid compared to many in and above their price range. I wish I could afford non-ported but my wallet dictated. For Hip Hop I would recommend a sub - but again only if your room is solid.

Good luck.

5. aaronwaudio

aaronwaudio Active Member

I have the KRK VXT-6s which are great, but if you are doing mostly hip hop, like the last person said, you will want plenty of bass response. I would go with the VXT-8s (liked them more than the mentioned HS80Ms which aren't bad but remind me of an updated ns-10) and a sub for hip hop, probably turn off the sub for reggae.

6. MadMax

MadMax Well-Known Member

In a properly designed/treated room, just about anything is going to be reasonable. But I highly recommend the Focal Twin 6BE's...

Oh, and in a properly designed/treated room, you don't need a sub with the Focal's. All that's really down that low, is train rumble, earthquakes, explosions and rocket launches...

7. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I just got a pair of the new Neumann KH 120 and they are really nice.
    New Dynaudio BM6A mosfets vs the KH 120, 4 people in my studio doing a blind test, including myself, preferred the KH 120's! The midrange on them is exceptional. And I do love my Dynaudio but maybe not as much now.

Definitely worth checking out.

8. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Monday I'm going down to the local Equipment I Want Store and am going to listen to a pair of Sundholm 8" passives. I need another pair in the room and my Genelecs are small. GREAT sounding but small surface area and I'll be doing more guitar tracking soon. I think I may like these for tracking and of course I'll always mix on the Genelecs. They havent failed me in 7 years.

These are the monitors that Conrad (yes, that Conrad of Conrad Amps) and his son Steve put together several years back. I own an ancient Hafler amp so that should do it. For those that dont realize it, this is a KIT Hafler.....Yep, its that old.

9. Lougarcia

Lougarcia Active Member

Hi There

A lot in the market today: So far We tested Focal, Adams, Genelec, Events, KRK are good. It is best to listen to them
    first before getting them!

Hope this one helps!