1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Recommend me a pair of monitors

Discussion in 'Monitoring & Headphones' started by Creative Mind, May 23, 2011.

1. Creative Mind

Creative Mind Active Member

May 23, 2011
    I'm looking for a pretty good pair of monitors for mixing Hip Hop and Reggae music mostly. I'm not working on a budget because I want to get something pretty good, true, flat and minimal if colored. I was looking on the Focal, krk vxt8, dynaudio and genelec
  2. Blue Note

Blue Note Guest

HD-1 : High Definition Audio Monitor

PMC Ltd

RL 903K

Georg Neumann GmbH - Professional Monitoring

Any of those should make you a very happy man..
  3. Creative Mind

Creative Mind Active Member

May 23, 2011
    Thanks man, gonna do some search on them.
  4. csi

csi Active Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Home Page:
    Of course there are a few things to consider;

Room and if treated properly
    Ported or Non-Ported speakers - Non-Ported will be more accurate but generally much more expensive.

If your room is a mess you may want to consider some high end headphones.
    If you have deep pockets then both of these issues won't be a problem.
    I have Yamaha's HS80M's and have a nicely treated room so they sound quite good and the reviews on them were very solid compared to many in and above their price range. I wish I could afford non-ported but my wallet dictated. For Hip Hop I would recommend a sub - but again only if your room is solid.

Good luck.
  5. aaronwaudio

aaronwaudio Active Member

May 25, 2011
    St. Paul, MN
    Home Page:
    I have the KRK VXT-6s which are great, but if you are doing mostly hip hop, like the last person said, you will want plenty of bass response. I would go with the VXT-8s (liked them more than the mentioned HS80Ms which aren't bad but remind me of an updated ns-10) and a sub for hip hop, probably turn off the sub for reggae.
  6. MadMax

MadMax Distinguished Member

Mar 18, 2001
    Sunny & warm NC
    Home Page:
    In a properly designed/treated room, just about anything is going to be reasonable. But I highly recommend the Focal Twin 6BE's...

Oh, and in a properly designed/treated room, you don't need a sub with the Focal's. All that's really down that low, is train rumble, earthquakes, explosions and rocket launches...
  7. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff Resource Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Prince George, BC
    Home Page:
    I just got a pair of the new Neumann KH 120 and they are really nice.
    New Dynaudio BM6A mosfets vs the KH 120, 4 people in my studio doing a blind test, including myself, preferred the KH 120's! The midrange on them is exceptional. And I do love my Dynaudio but maybe not as much now.

Definitely worth checking out.
  8. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Dec 10, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Monday I'm going down to the local Equipment I Want Store and am going to listen to a pair of Sundholm 8" passives. I need another pair in the room and my Genelecs are small. GREAT sounding but small surface area and I'll be doing more guitar tracking soon. I think I may like these for tracking and of course I'll always mix on the Genelecs. They havent failed me in 7 years.

These are the monitors that Conrad (yes, that Conrad of Conrad Amps) and his son Steve put together several years back. I own an ancient Hafler amp so that should do it. For those that dont realize it, this is a KIT Hafler.....Yep, its that old.
  9. Lougarcia

Lougarcia Active Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Manila, Philippines
    Home Page:
    Hi There

A lot in the market today: So far We tested Focal, Adams, Genelec, Events, KRK are good. It is best to listen to them
    first before getting them!

Hope this one helps!