1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Recorder, battery powered, 3+ XLR, phantom

Discussion in 'Recording' started by cupakm, Jul 25, 2013.

1. cupakm

cupakm Active Member

I'm looking for a (portable) digital recorder, battery-powered, 3 or more XLR ins, phantom pw. Portability not an issue, however complete standaloneness would be definitely nice. Maybe Zoom H6. Any better ideas?

2. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

The Zoom H6 looks good, but it's very new and I don't think any of the regulars here have tried it to report on.

3. drumrob

drumrob Active Member

cupakm,

I have only seen the ads for the Zoom H6, but I, like Boswell, think it looks interesting. I have a Zoom H2N and I love it. I know a ton of people use the H4N and have great success with it as well. I just recently purchased the Tascam DR-680. It's called an 8-track, but tracks 7&8 are really just a stereo mix of the other 6 or can be fed SPDIF, so I view it mostly as a 6 track. It has 4 XLR or 1/4" inputs and two 1/4" only inputs. It's a little funny with setting levels using switches and the menu, but for a fairly small portable device, you've got to sacrifice something I guess. I've only used it a couple of times, but so far I like it a lot. I haven't used it on battery power only yet, so I can't comment on battery life, but it will run on 8 AA batteries. It's more expensive than I remember seeing for the Zoom H6, I think. Those two, as well as the H4N really (4-track), are the ones you should definitely compare.

Have fun!

Rob

4. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

The best four track option would be anything by Sound Devices. That said, the Tascam R44 or R88 is a tremendous unit with massive versatility including battery operation w/phantom for many hours. The Zoom H4n has been a great unit for the budget conscious so the H6 should hopefully be up to the same quality.