1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

RecorderMan's NS10 microphone

Discussion in 'Monitoring / Headphones' started by RecorderMan, Sep 2, 2003.

1. RecorderMan

RecorderMan Distinguished Member

Hey all...here are some pictures of my NS10 Microphone. I went to a machine shop and had them add the bar that goes from one screw-hole over the magnet to the other one. This lets me mount it on a standard mic stand. Add this as a second mic to any other mic setup @ around -10db in level (at least, sometimes less) and you'll get an amazing modern sub low end added to your kick. It'll even pick pick up a little of the toms too. Print separately so that you'll have control in the mix.
    I've used it on gtrs as well...awesome.
    The speaker cost me less than $70. Cabling around $20. Custom bracket $50. Much less than the thing Yamaha is trying to sell for $450.

PS....Thanks TRINA for the post on how to add pictures....

2. vindeby

vindeby Guest

That looks pretty cool RecorderMan. I'm a sucker for wierd recordingstuff so I'd really like to make one of those...how do you connect the cable? What's on +&- on the speaker? :d:

Henrik

3. RecorderMan

Well, hear in the US it's usually pin2 hot. So connect the + side to pin2 and the - side to pin3. Connect the shield to Pin1 but leave it unconnected at the speaker end and it will act as a telescopic shield (being connected by pin1 to the pre-amp chassis ground).

4. vindeby

vindeby Guest

Thanks a lot...I'll try it out :tu:
    All the best
    Henrik

5. Nate Tschetter

Nate Tschetter Active Member

Howdy

That's really cool, RM. What do you think the difference is if the speaker is in an enclosure rather than without?

When I get moved up to LA in October, I'll get a Subkick from the big Y and we can have a "speaker as kick drum mic" shootout...heh.

6. RecorderMan

well without really knowing my guess is that the "enclosure" of a drum and the membrane of the v-drum to hold the speaker are just the differrent depts @ Yamaha getting together and figuring some way to jump on this band wagon. I know of alot of people who've started doing this again. All speakers would sound different. An 8" compared to a 15", etc. It seems to me that covering it would "tune" it of sorts...I just don't know if it would be a big improvement or marketing hype. I will say this. The primary purpose is to capture sub frequencies. And being a free resonator -so to speak- without any enclosure leads me to think that it is truer(as in omni). Who needs proximity effect with this?. It's already giving me more sub than any standard mic....I wouldn't need anymore; and at a fraction of the $450 that yamaha wants.

7. mixopenta

mixopenta Guest

Great to finally have this confirmed :cool:

I've heard some rumours about this technique a long time ago, but I thought one needed a special set of speakers to get anything out of them.

I figured I'll try this for the next recording with one of my Auratones.

Is there any difference in signal level from the speaker as opposed to an ordinary mic? I mean, there's quite a difference in impedance. My guess is that the speaker is a lot weaker, as the micinput would "see" less resistance. But then again I must admit I missed out on these lessons, so it could just as well be the opposite... :s:

Would an average console micpre be sufficient to process the signallevel?

Have mercy on my ignorance!

UP

8. heinz

heinz Guest

That looks great Recorderman, certainly has my wheels turning.

What is a good source for ns10 replacement woofers? I have to get a pair for my monitors anyway...

9. sign

sign Guest

I have an Electro Voice 18 inch speaker, I'll try that baby next week in front of the kick :D

10. RecorderMan

well not to be pushing a brand. Lots if not all speakers should b great.

As to the impedance question. Somepeople use a DI. But I've had no trouble with level. In fact I have had to pot it down pretty good not to get too much level.

Glad you're enjoying! I myself was pretty stoked when I got the bar from the machine shop. I've also seen/done a mounting by letting the magnet grab a mic-stand column.
    :p:

11. RecorderMan

WATCH OUT!!!!
    Don't forget, this "mic" is in addition to your standard mic. This will be the "subharmonic sythesizer" without the synthesizer! :w:

12. missilanious

missilanious Guest

I had a pair of Boston Acoustic bookshelfs that one of the tweeters blew, so I tried it. It works very well. Now I only need to record a kick with it, tried it with a bass amp and it sounded great, very round and nothing but sub which rolled off around 90hz, now just to screw around I'm going to try to record some cymbals using the tweeter on the other speaker.

13. heinz

heinz Guest

Thanks a bunch!

14. FloodStage

FloodStage Active Member

I just get them straight from Yamaha.

Tweeter- Part# XC712001 (49.95)
    Woofer - Part# XN542A00 (49.95)

Vd375400 (right) Crossover (89.00)
    Vd375300 (left) Crossover (89.00)

Yamaha service.... (888)892-6242

15. RecorderMan

Thanks for the info FloodStage

16. pastudio

pastudio Guest

recordman:

please put some record by your ns10 mic recording to there

i would lesten it

17. Aziel

Aziel Guest

WOW! thats really cool! how deep you get the bass frecuency? do u use another mic or just use the speaker for the kick? :tu:

18. RecorderMan

IMPORTANT:
    This mic (Speaker used as mic) is to be usedin addition to whatever you normally ude on the kick.
    So...if you stick a 421 or D112, etc on the kick, do that. Just add this "mic" as another mic. Place mic where tasty and record to another track to give optimum control on mixdown...especially because we are taliking very low frequencies here. You won't have to add extra bottom to your standard kick chain when using this. Just a dab will do.

19. Aziel

Aziel Guest

where do you put the speaker?

20. RecorderMan

In front of the kick drum. Fairly close. I many times like thee lower left quadrant of the front head...but experimaent. The farther away from the kick, the greater the balance of other drums(Toms & Snare) realtive to the kick. That's not necesarilly a bad thing. The closer to the front head the more of jsut the kick.
    This, again, is primarilly for the freq's under 100hz. So that you can aproximate the bottom end of, say, an 808 kick on a live kick without adding an exhorbitant amount of EQ to your standard kick mic(s) [which you will still use].