1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

RecorderMan's NS10 replacement......

Discussion in 'Monitoring / Headphones' started by RecorderMan, May 22, 2003.

1. RecorderMan

RecorderMan Distinguished Member

Just want to give my input to this seemingly important topic.

I've been using a pair of :
    Yamaha - MSP5 Active Studio Monitor (YMSP5)
    that aproducer I work with picked up.
    In a word they're great on all acounts. They sound not too far from NS10's with a little more bottom that is tight...not as harsh...and a good deal of volumn. They're small, and they're cheap (less than $500 a pair). So far everything I've mixed on them has translated very well.
    Highly recommended.
    They're my next speaker purchase..perfect for the mobile user (they're small).

I had to edit this addy. It was sooooo long i screwed up the page. It wasn't active anyhow. So if you want to use it , just highlight the whole thing (all 5 lines!) and insert it into your address bar and click "GO" Kurt

[ May 24, 2003, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: Kurt Foster ]

2. RecorderMan

OK...I'm bumping this topic.
    I'm telling you guy's...get these monitor's ......they're a hidden treat. My stuff is translating...if you've used NS10's in the past you'll "get" these guys quick.
    I mean compared to some of the over-marketed and overpriced crap out their (like the MACKIES...wow...are they ever a BAD monitor) these are a steal.

3. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Alécio Costa - Brazil Well-Known Member

thanks
    I will look for them also

4. Mario-C.

Mario-C. Active Member

cool tip

5. rpowell

rpowell Guest

seem like a heck of a deal...i think i'll be picking these up for my home studio

i've been spoiled with some pretty nice monitors..but these look like a great set up for home

6. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Since there is so much interest, i have sent a few E Mails to Yamaha requesting a pair to review. If I get a response I will let you all know. I am excited to compare them to the NS10s. Kurt

7. Mario-C.

Mario-C. Active Member

whew they go up to 40 khz, perfect for annoying dogs lol

8. Alécio Costa - Brazil

trade them for cats.
    :)

9. downflow

downflow Guest

What amp would you recommend for these at around the same price range?

10. golli

golli Active Member

They're selfpowered.

11. Alécio Costa - Brazil

does anyone want to buy an a100a? they are perfect for the NS10s.

12. downflow

downflow Guest

Man I even went to the link and looked and still didn't notice they were self-powered, lol!

13. Speedy

Speedy Guest

I picked up a pair on loan from a dealer 2day.

Right on the money - these babies produce the NS-10's midrange "focus", and ease of balance.

I even found the burst of air from the front bass reflex holes 2 b a useful indication of LF energy. (The equivalent of observing the woofer movement (the "crinkle") of the NS-10).

If they translate as good as the NS-10, I'm definitely getting a pair.

The sound varies significantly with the surface the speakers r placed on, and the contact between the speaker and the surface.

Keep the speakers away from close boundaries (i.e. right @ the edge of meter-bridge, desk or shelf and away from walls), and use a rather small contact point (rubber, plastic or metal) @ the center.

Experiment, cuz YMMV.

RecorderMan, U rock.

Every tip from U works like a charm, no exceptions so far.

U must b 1 hell of an engineer.

Peace,

Zooot

14. golli

golli Active Member

Should I have one good monitor pair and know them really well, or should I have two, to switch between as a reference.
    I heard these MSP-5's a little over a year ago and was amased how much low end such a small thing could produce, and of course would like to own a pair. My Event 20/20bas's of course produce much more image and raw power. But if these Yamaha's can give something my Event's dont, I of course would like to own a pair :)

15. RecorderMan

Thanks for the compliment zoot.

Get some dense foam (magazines work in a pinch) to place underneath to decouple them (something you should do with pretty much any monitor).....I've recently seen some product at a friends studio & Sam Ash that does this..it's foam and hold your monitors at a slight down angle (they have a little lip in the fron to keep them in place)...

16. RecorderMan

Thanks for the compliment zoot.

Get some dense foam (magazines work in a pinch) to place underneath to decouple them (something you should do with pretty much any monitor).....I've recently seen some product at a friends studio & Sam Ash that does this..it's foam and hold your monitors at a slight down angle (they have a little lip in the fron to keep them in place)...

17. Nate Tschetter

Nate Tschetter Active Member

Howdy

I think the Auralex MoPad is what RM is referring to. I've been using a pair for about a month and I think they're really useful for these "workstation" type enclosure dealios. They've tamed a coupling problem between my monitors and workstation.

18. Pez

Pez Active Member

RM, Stik-Tak or Blue-Tak (available at most hardware stores) works great to decouple your monitors from your stands. It's made to hold posters to walls without damage and is being used a lot now in pro-audio to dampen vibrations. It's a clay like stuff that comes in strips. Just make four pea sized balls and stick them under your speakers. It's a hell of a lot easier and cheaper than spikes.
    Also, I'm currently using self powered Event 20/20 bas speakers (the same one's that Golli mentioned). How do these compare to the Yamaha's?

19. Speedy

Speedy Guest

...And thank U 4 sharing your knowledge.

I've tried a few products and materials, and I've noticed that the smaller the contact the better the focus gets.

It's not so much of a problem in the studios (the desks I work with r MASSIVE with high meter bridges) but @ home my system is placed on a big wooden desk.

When I placed rubber pads under the front and back the color was VERY NS-10, but the focus was gone.

The foam worked better, but still the desk vibrated, painting the sound. These boxes r HEAVY, and the bass reflex is a miniature jet engine...

The best solution I came up with were 2 plastic Ampex DAT cassette enclosures placed underneath each speaker's center.

...And that's the best use I've found 4 DAT cassettes ever ... :)

My guess is that if the contact is only @ the center this lets the speaker rock back and forth w/o moving the surface.

I'll try the magazines trick 2, 4 sure.

Peace,

Zooot

20. I did alot of listening before i bought my msp5s.
    i love the way my recordings translate to other systems.I have been recording less than a yearyet
    i am able to get some high quality mixes,mostly due to these little guys.