1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Recording a speech.

Discussion in 'Vocals' started by Koo, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Koo

Koo Active Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Good day

I don't have any knowledge on voice recording. We're currently recording a speech on a weekly basis, where the person delivering the speech is about 50cm away from the microphone and sometimes turning his head slightly away from the microphone.
    We are currently using a mobile phone (LOL) to record the speech, but we're looking for better recording quality. We don't have a lot of space available for pre-amps etc.
    With the mobile phone you can hear background noise and people coughing and as well as when the person delivering the speech touching the podium.
    Any idea what I can buy to get better quality?
    If I can even get a microphone that plugs into the mobile phone, that will give me better quality recording, will be good enough.
  2. Boswell

Boswell Distinguished Moderator Resource Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Home Page:
    You don't say what type of phone you have, but if it's an iPhone (or even an iPad), then this Rode plug-on mic gives excellent quality recording. If it's not an Apple phone but nevertheless has a microphone jack for plugging in an external mic, then this type should work. Ignore the crazy name SmartLav, since, as far as I am aware, it has no connection with auto-flushers.

Rode is not the only manufacturer of add-on mics for smartphones, but their products do give a sound quality better than most other makes in this price range. I would steer clear of the cheapo external phone mics from Ebay.
  3. Koo

Koo Active Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Boswell, thank you very much for your reply!