1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

recording a violin

Discussion in 'Recording' started by naftali94, Jun 26, 2009.

1. naftali94

naftali94 Active Member

sorry about my english. i'm not american/
    i play on violin and i want to record me in my comuter..
    i use AUDACITY.
    i have a good pick up in my violin (somthing of barcus-berry).
    andd i connect a PL cable to my comuter. but the problem is that the sound isn't good!!!. it's sound metallic.
    i will be happy if somone can guide me what i can do. thank you.

2. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

Two problems.

1) You need an interface to go into the computer. TC Electronics, M-Audio, Presonus, Mackie/Tapco all make little two channel boxes to fit this niche.

2) A violin will never sound its best through a pickup. An overhead condenser mic would be better especially in a good room.

3. Feverdream

Feverdream Guest

I recorded a violin at home a few weeks back.

I just used an overhead condenser and an SM58. The 58 isn't the best mic to use for a violin, but it was there so I used it. Blended with the condenser it sounded fantastic.

The pickup sound won't be good on it's own, but if you have a track spare, it's worth recording it, just to have something else to blend with what you've picked up with the mic.

4. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

In this scenario, a pencil condenser would be preferred over most dynamic microphones. I like the 58 but it's frequency response is limiting to a good violinist.