1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Recording acoustic guitar issues

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by CarlML, Jan 23, 2008.

1. CarlML

CarlML Guest

Hey, I'm trying to record some acoustic guitar but have some problems. I'm using a guitar with a built in microphone that is hooked up to an external soundcard Edirol UA-25. I'm recording in Cubase SX3. The problem that it seems no matter what I do the recording comes out with extremely low gain, the track show almost only a thin line unless I play really strongly.

The sensitivity on the UA-25 is set pretty high already and if I turn it up more I start to get a lot of low humming so that does not seem like an option. I can also turn up the input gain in Cubase a lot which helps but also produces humming and the bright noise get magnified.

I realize this is a hard question without knowing my exact setup but I'm hoping somebody else had a similar issue. Somehow I need a stronger signal from the soundcard into Cubase.

Thanks for any tips.

2. bent

bent No Bad Vibes! Well-Known Member

What make / model is the guitar?

Are you plugging into channel 2 and pressing the Hi-Z switch?

3. CarlML

CarlML Guest

Hi bent,

The guitar is an Alhambra 3C CW and yes I use the right channel with Hi-Z turned on. The volume on the guitar itself is maxed.

4. hueseph

hueseph Well-Known Member

Does the guitar require a battery? If so, have you checked it lately?

5. mwacoustic

mwacoustic Guest

Can you hear a decent level signal through headphones right on the Edirol?

6. CarlML

CarlML Guest

Haha fantastic! I feel a bit stupid now but that was it! Now I know why that red little light was glowing on the guitar hehe.

Thanks a lot for the help!

7. hueseph

hueseph Well-Known Member

No problem. Just guessing from experience. LOL. It happens.

8. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

Been there, done that. I've also been the sound guy several times where the guitarist is balling me out for messing up the show and it turns out the battery is dead. You learn to check it early in the process - and carry extras at all times.

9. mwacoustic

mwacoustic Guest

DAW: $6,000
    Audio Interface: $3000
    Recording Software: $1000

Fresh battery in your guitar preamp: Priceless

:)

10. Drewslum

Drewslum Active Member

Actually batteries are kinda expensive. Haha...