Recording Acoustic Guitar Youtube Examples

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by audiokid, Apr 9, 2017.

1. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Completely different everything however in general, which of these examples do you prefer and why?

2. pcrecord

pcrecord Quality recording seeker ! Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    I'm not doing much of space pairs on guitars.. Maybe I should, but one time that I did it, the performer moved a bit between takes (he turned on the chair). Before I could realise it the distance from the mics shifted and I got a bit of phases issues on some takes.. Very minor but there none the less.

I like the One mic double takes technique but only if the player is consistent and willing to play the same way twice.
    It would also be my approach if I had to record 2 completely different guitar parts and planned to pan them.

For more intimate guitar performances, I often use a M/S setup. It's specially nice if you want to controle how wide you want the guitar when mixing.
    And if you want to make changed along the song. Let's say make the guitar wider in the choruses or something like that.

I prefer your number 1 video.

3. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    @pcrecord I feel the same,
    number 2 sounds overwhelming brittle to me. Sometimes those SDC are just too edgy and bright for me.
    I'm surprised where they put the U87 and it sounded that good. I would expect a body mid honk in that position. I think it sounds very good.

The acoustic section starts at 25.50

pcrecord likes this.
  4. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    I own Royer mics and share the sentiment. The Mesanovic 2 sounds excellent too.

pcrecord likes this.
  5. pcrecord

Home Page:
    Maybe this particular U87 didn't have that much low end.. or there is an angle that we don't see from the camera's point of view..
    But to me it seems in front of the sound hole but about 45degree angled toward the bridge.. Interesting choice !

6. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    In the video he said he pointed it at the hole. I imagine he used the hpf on it.
    What has me curious, I've used a U87ai on my Taylor 314ce and it didn't sound this good towards the hole. I wonder if those really nice looking gobo's have anything to do with that "better than expected" capture of the hole shot. What do you think?

7. pcrecord

Home Page:
    At 0:31 I hear ''a couple inches off the sound hole'' It makes me think in front but turned away... I maybe mistaken of course.

That's a proof that there is no universal recipe. it all depend on the room, the instrument, the player, the mic etc... ;)

audiokid likes this.
  8. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Here is what davedog said in another thread>
    Making some gobo's is on my list. Anyone have any gobo recipes?

9. pcrecord

Home Page:
    I made 2 a few years ago. An absorbing side and a hard side. I hang them in my control room and I made some feet for them when I put them on the ground.
    They are 4'x3' and 4'' Thick, with roxul Inside.

10. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    Well, it was a U67 rather than a U87, but it surprised me too that the sound was balanced and rounded with that mic positioning.

Like Marco, I think that, in a studio, using a good pair of LDCs in M-S can produce a sound that fits well with a vocal. If it's the same guitarist/vocalist, it should be on a different take for control of bleed.

pcrecord likes this.
  11. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Geese, U67 lol. I am getting too old , brain dead to even remember models now.o_O Thanks for clarification, Bos.

pcrecord likes this.
  12. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Thanks Marco. I've never used a U67. Have you guys? I'm curious to do some research on it now.

13. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Neumann U67 vs U86 comments say this:

That makes me feel a bit better ;)

I found on GS, the two main differences are that the U67 has a tube amplifier with a separate power supply.

@Boswell, are you familiar with the U67?

14. DogsoverLava

DogsoverLava Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I had to look up " gobo".

15. pcrecord

Home Page:
    I don't have the budget for those original classics and don't know if I ever will. :unsure:
    I'm compensating with my T47 who reminisce of the U47 and I just ordered a mod kit to put my old C1 closer to a U87.
    But I know that even with the best gear some will fail. If I can achieve the sound I want/need with what I've got. I'm a winner !!!

16. Boswell

Home Page:
    Me too, but since I can't tell them apart in a video like that, I simply reported what the engineer said, right or wrong.

pcrecord likes this.
  17. Boswell

Home Page:
    Sorry, I missed this bit earlier. I never have owned any of the Uxx microphones, but I've used them often enough, either in other studios or as hired or borrowed items.

Really as a result of this thread, it occured to me that I've only ever used them individually, and that I've never had a U67 and a U87 side-by-side for comparison. Although both mics would tackle almost any solo voice or instrument, the usage I have grown up with is to prefer the 67 for instruments and the 87 for vocals. So it was no surprise to find the 67 on acoustic guitar in the video, but where it was placed and the resulting sound did raise my eyebrows.

Great guitarist, though, to be able to double-track that accurately.

pcrecord likes this.
  18. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    For G.A.S and giggles: Here is a U67 that just sold for around $7000.00. It looks like a u87 but I bet hardly sounds like one.

Whats interesting to me is I find it difficult to believe there aren't other beautiful, rich sounding mid focus mics for far less these days, over something vintage like this gem.
    Example: The Mojave 200 and 300 series sound every bit as good, if not even better than new U87ai.

I'd love to hear an A /B between this and that Mesanovic 2 we are just talking about here right now. Two very different mics but never the less, it would be interesting.
    650653-neumann-u-67-3d_1.jpg

pcrecord likes this.
  19. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Update, I did more research on what mics compare to a U67 and low and behold, the Mojave MA200 is highly recommended. I've got one here, and an MA201 as well so once I get my conversion path done, I will try positioning it like we see in the OP video and report back here..

20. DogsoverLava

DogsoverLava Well-Known Member

Home Page:
  • AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed