1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Recording acoustic guitar...

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by amg1, Feb 7, 2005.

1. amg1

amg1 Guest

A couple of questions on recording/mixing acoustic guitar. I have a session coming up in few days to record aome acoustic GTR. I will be running direct into an ISA428>Motu 2408MKIII>Logic Platinum. That's the easy part. Now for the mix, I'm thingking of copying the track(lead gtr) to another channel in logic, applying a small delay and using Amplitube as I don't have access to the real things at this time. Then I'll pan the original and the copy opposite to one another.

Is this a typical mix situation? I'm open for suggestions as this will be my first stab of many to come at recording live acoustic. The genre is Hip-Hop and R&B.

Thanks
    Peace!

2. amg1

amg1 Guest

Bump! :lol:

3. tripnek

tripnek Active Member

I'm not a big fan of "faking" a double. If you want it doubled, play it twice then pan the two tracks. Or if your just after a "stereo sound", use two different mics then pan them l & R.

4. amg1

amg1 Guest

Thanks Tripnek and I agree. I guess I'm just trying to make the best of my recording enviroment. It's currently in the garage and we are on a busy corner, heavy traffic, bus stop, construction currently happening, etc. But now that I thank about, this session will be later in the evening, I may be able to get away with mics.

In that respect, I currently only have a SP C1 and a MXL V69 Mogami. What would be the best way to mic the guitar with these mics? And would it still be a good idea to run it direct also?

Like I said this is my first time actually recording live acoustic so all info will be helpful.

Thanks.