1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Recording Acoustic Percussion

Discussion in 'Percussion' started by maintiger, Jan 3, 2005.

1. maintiger

maintiger Distinguished Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Whittier, California, USA
    Home Page:
    I had started a thread here the week before Chritmas on this subject. I understand some threads were lost due to a bug in the system. The topic was recording acoustic percussion and a number of useful techniques were suggested. Unfortunately I did not save the info before it dissapeared but actually between remembering suggestions and my own experience the session went real well. Thank you to all that responded. :D

It was a Cuban project, all percussion, no trap kit- congas, bongoes, timbales, shakers, claves and many other assorted percusssion. The best tracks came across using a Rode k2 in omni, sideways about a foot above the congas. (through a sytek pre)
    It was uncanny. We did a first test take with the congas and when we played it back it was the same sound!- same with the bongoes, timbales etc- what we heard in the room was what was being played back. My only regret was that I only had 1 K2, would have loved to have been able to record in stereo- That will be remedied before the next session as I am ordering another one this week.- next session will probably be in a couple of weeks. 8)

I am sure that using a more colored preamp I would have been able to achieve tracks with perhaps a more 'desirable' (ie colored) sound for some- but what we really wanted for this music was the sound of the instruments as they are. This was just what we got and happy we are. I also recorded a tres in cardioid through the K2 and the results were very good. I don't know what else this mic (K2) can do, but it keeps on pleasently surprising me. :p
  2. LittleDogAudio

LittleDogAudio Active Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Thanks for the report. Hand percussion can sometimes be really difficult to capture, sounding naturally. I'm lucky that I have a nice acoustic space. When I had a smaller studio with dead rooms, it was always a challenge to get a balanced/natural sound.