1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Recording at church

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Jarci, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Jarci

Jarci Active Member

How would i record my dad sermons at church???? we are using a protable PA system something like the Fender Pro Audio
    Passport 250 Portable PA System. What would i need to record good in quality???then put on tape or CD

2. kevinlimse

kevinlimse Guest

live audio and recording systems have some differences.. good live recordings will need good mic, mic placement, good cables, good mixers and recorders. most importantly a good engineer :)

imho
    unless u have those thick tape and recorders, digital is still best. Plug the rec outs to the DAW and start recording. sermons are not tricky. Maybe you would want to record the audience responce with another mic.. prepare standby mic incase the other fails which is rare.. after reocrding work on it until u get the sound u want.. burn it into CD for longer keeping.. =x

3. mdemeyer

mdemeyer Active Member

The least-hassle solution might be to get a CD recorder and run the line-level PA signal into it. By going directly to CD you have a low-cost media, fine quality for this kind of recording, and easy archiving.

4. MadMax

MadMax Well-Known Member

In looking at the manual I found that there is a "Tape Out".

Just above the power switch is a pair of RCA connectors labeled "Tape Out". Just plug your recorder of choice in and you're good to go. Take the "Tape Out" of the Passport 250 to the "Signal In" on your recording device.

edit: Plug a set of headphones into the recording device to listen to the recorder. Adjust the recorder input to get a strong, but not too strong, of a signal...e.g. no distortion.

If you decide on digital media, such as a CD or DAT recorder, just watch the input levels that they don't get too high. If the signal gets too "hot" the digital distortion will be just a bunch of noise and it won't be intelligible.

I can't find whether there is a control for the "Tape Out" level or not. If there is, use that to trim the input signal... although it does indicate that the "Tape Out" level is independent of the main output.

If not, you'll have to use the gain of the system via the input of the mic and the output...

Good luck!
    Max

5. IIRs

IIRs Well-Known Member

The above approach should work well, but I suspect it may sound a little dry and sterile, with no sense of the presence of a congregation.. if your budget stretches to it I would suggest a small mixer and a condenser or ribbon microphone: if you run the "Tape out" into one channel of your recorder, and record an ambient microphone to the other, you will be able to balance the two channels in an editor or DAW. (It might be nice to fake stereo on the ambient mic with some comb filtering)

If your budget stretches a bit further you could record to a PC with a decent soundcard for higher quality 24-bit recording (yes this makes a difference even if you want it on 16-bit CD in the end!) and if it stretches further still I would suggest 2 ambient mics and a multi-channel card so you can record the church in true stereo..

.. all you need to do now is to persuade your dad to stop preaching primitive superstitions based on ignorance, fear and low self-esteem, and get a proper job instead.

6. ouch.

i may not completely disagree, but c'mon, this isn't the place.

7. Calgary

Calgary Active Member

Bewarethanatos is right. That was childish.

8. IIRs

IIRs Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I feel I have a moral obligation to try to debunk those myths whenever I see them. I view religion as a desease..

9. Calgary

Calgary Active Member

1. You don't even know what religion he is. So, very specifically, what myths did you "see"? :-?

2. Someone as obviously unenlightened as yourself is ill prepared to debunk anything, let alone religion. Sort yourself out before you try and sort everyone else out.

3. In real life you wouldn't make a peep. If you're so compelled to debunk religion go grab your jacket and head down to your nearest army office, then debunk the "disease of religion" face to face with a few young soldiers. Cat got your tongue? Guess what? The difference between you and this guy's dad is that he has the balls to go out and face people, he's doesn't rely on the anonymity of an online forum for his spine.

4. There's nothing discernably moral about you so it's distinctly possible your obligation could be overrated.

5. Live and let live.

10. IIRs

IIRs Well-Known Member

Actually I am more outspoken in real life than I am here..

.. but I accept this isn't the right forum, which is why I made my comment in small type after I answered his question as well as I was able. :wink:

11. Reggie

Reggie Well-Known Member

The newer version of the Copywriter Live by Microboards would be a good stand-alone CD recorder that you could hook up your board to. It has 2 CD burn drives, and can skip over to the second one when the first disc is full. Kinda pricey at $700, but might be easier than getting a whole computer setup going.
    Only use good discs like Taiyo Yuden if going this route, because it isn't worth goofing up the recording just because you wanted to save $.10. Real-time CD recorders are a bit sensitive to cheap media sometimes.

Saying that you know religion is false is as arrogant as the extremists with the signs who judge people and tell them they are going to hell.

12. Jarci

Jarci Active Member

thank you for your replies wanted and unwanted. But since IIRs got this whole thing start about religion let me finish it. IIRs first of all you have not right to judge anyone. Not everyone preacher lies (take a look at yourself before you judge anone) My dad has a real job as a teacher and he is more of a man than you'll ever be. About everyday he speak to people like you face to face not over the computer coward. all you is is just talk. and he don't get paid as a preacher. we don't have picket signs saying you'll go to hell ect. we bring fam. and friends that wants to come to church and they bring there fam and friends and so on. But that's ok I love you and God still loves you. :lol: keep comments like that to your self. Computer coward

13. Calgary

Calgary Active Member

Excellent advice for anyone, religious or not. :cool:

IIRs- Yeah right... Go get your jacket on then. :)

You're just another run of the mill internet forum coward sitting in your bedroom tossing out anonymous comments to people who you know nothing about. Nothing special. To me you represent the worst the internet has to offer. No one likes a coward, not even other cowards.

Meanwhile this guy's dad is out there taking it to the street where chickens like you fear to tread. I may not agree with his premise but I certainly don't feel the need to hassle the guy and I respect him for walking the walk. :cool:

14. Jarci

Jarci Active Member

thanx Calgary for having my back even though you may not agree with my religion. This right here was just a test from God to see if i was just going to leave it in the air. thank you and oh yea I'm a girl

jarci

15. IIRs

IIRs Well-Known Member

religion is a social disease

I would be a coward if I didn't point that out.. but ask yourself: why would it be more courageous to make my point to you in person?

The iimplication is that if I did so my argument would be met with violence.. so what happened to turning the other cheek?

16. IIRs

IIRs Well-Known Member

perhaps if the organised religions followed that advice they wouldn't be responsible for so much grief and suffering..

17. IIRs

IIRs Well-Known Member

18. Calgary

Calgary Active Member

For once in your life, don't be an asswipe. Go about your business and leave decent folks to get their questions answered. The mods should turf you. :-?

19. IIRs

IIRs Well-Known Member

god FAQ :D

20. IIRs

IIRs Well-Known Member

You don't have any counter arguments do you? All you can do is resort to insults and veiled threats.. :roll: