1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Recording bass without an amp help

Discussion in 'Bass' started by qcdding, Jun 20, 2011.

1. qcdding

qcdding Member

Jun 20, 2011
    I've been searching for a cost and space effective solution to recording bass into my computer. I don't have a bass amp because I'm a guitar player... I've got a Presonus Firestudio mobile interface, buy cheap software which has 2 xlr/line inputs.

I was looking at the Tech 21 sansamp VT - If I were to buy this, could the signal chain simply be: bass>Tech 21 VT> Firestudio? cheap software Would that give me a pretty decent sound?

Otherwise, what would you recommend me doing? Thanks!
  2. Ripeart

Ripeart Active Member

May 13, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Home Page:
    Man I just DI my bass into either my DBX or Mindprint preamp and hit record. I'm happy enough with my bass (schecter). Any effects I need will be done in mix. But usually don't need any except some subtractive eq'ing.
  3. CL2Zero

CL2Zero Active Member

Jun 20, 2011
    I usually just DI Bass myself. I have a SansAmp Bass Driver DI box. But, a lot of times I prefer the straight DI sound.
    You might be surprised with what you get with just going with a DI signal. It's worth a try.
  4. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Dec 10, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Just go direct with that interface. It'll be just fine. You can add the Sans-Amp and have a bit more control over the tone and the feel. It wont be better, just different.
  5. GZsound

GZsound Active Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Near Portland, Oregon
    Home Page:
    I use an LR Baggs Para DI into a DBX compressor and get a nice smooth tone.
  6. Guitarfreak

Guitarfreak Distinguished Member

Feb 21, 2009
    I use a Countryman Type 85 DI box. Using a high quality DI will make the recording brighter than just straight into the interface. It's actually better to think of it as being more 'accurate' while not using a DI box tends to dull the sound. After I take the DI, I sometimes track a second recording of the bass guitar through a piece of electric guitar gear, like a Tubescreamer, or Big Muff fuzz and blend it in underneath for some extra texture. This is not needed though, a straight DI is just fine for modern music.