1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Recording classical choir..

Discussion in 'Vocals' started by Twood, May 25, 2008.

1. Twood

Twood Active Member

I am going to record a classical choir and I need some advise

The location is a medium sized (old) church. Carpet on the floors and walls of wood. The ceiling high is aprox 10-12 meters. The natural reverberation of the church is pretty good. (Not the 5 second reverbs u get in big stonechurches but not completely dead either, something in between)

The choir consist of aprox 20-25 people. No band. (I guess it will be two rows of 12-13)

I`ve managed to borrow some great gear to do this recording.
    What I`ve got available:

2 x DPA 4011 (sdc)
    3 x Milab WM44 (sdc)
    2 x Soundelux U195
    1 x Neumann U149

Great River 2nv
    Api 3124
    Thermionic Earlybird 1,2 (2 chn valvepre)
    TLAudio 5001 (4chn valvepre)

UA 2-1176

Since I have little/no experience with recording choirs I was hoping to get some tips on micplacement, how many mics etc...

2. goldendye

goldendye Guest

how I do

I will use the DPA's but not 2 . I think 4 Mics are better for this Choir size

What I do is a Pair of this Mics as a A/B or ORTF Combination in the middle and a little bit more higher. 2 Mics I will take it to both side and the End of the Choir to make it a little bit more wider . . .

And than I will use the 4 Ch. Pre.

When the Church sounding good, take another 2 Mics for the room perhaps you can use it on the mix.

Sorry for the " bad " english but I'm german :)