1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Recording courses?

Discussion in 'Composing / Producing / Arranging' started by took-the-red-pill, Nov 19, 2012.

1. took-the-red-pill

took-the-red-pill Active Member

First of all, audiokid, sorry if this is in the wrong spot.

Looking for a recommendation as far as an on-line course one might take, specifically to improve tracking and mixing skills. I would prefer something involving feedback on what I'm doing, as opposed to just a course of CD's and books.

Many thanks
    Keith

2. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Guest

Keith where do you think you are lacking? Many of the major universities today are offering all sorts of online courses, some for free. But really, the only way you're going to improve your tracking and mixing skills is to just do it. How do ya think we all learned it before God created recording schools? It's called trial and error, trial by fire, experimentation and using your ears. You don't even have to use your head LOL. I generally refer to myself as " The Ear On Rear ". Too bad my Ears aren't as big as my Butt cheeks LMAO.???... Well look now! It's gone! I can't hear! I can't hear! I can only hear my rear?

Must have been the Mexican food last night?
    Mx. Remy Ann David

3. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Guest

Well Keith, since nobody has answered your question, one of the online sites I have found to be quite good is Fabrice Dupont's Pure Mix site. His courses are excellent and extremely affordable. All of his guys and him are really very very good. His video productions are also excellent. I'm from NBC and I had to ask him who did his fabulous video production? It's him. Fabrice did it. He's fabulous. And you can check out many of his courses for free. You get 15 minutes out of the one-hour long or more course. It just leaves you wanting more it's so good. I think he's also interested in having me contribute to his site, since I just sold and my other 36 input Neve console I got from NBC-TV? But his courses are so good, it actually leaves me feeling kind of dorky.

Of course there are hundreds of other good instructive videos to be had on YouTube. I've perused lots of it. Sound is quite good. Others I sit there in complete astonishing amazement as to how bad some of these are with absolutely outrageous incorrect information. But it works for those beginners so... they're happy. Of course a lot of those YouTube videos are more about putting beats together in programs like ProTools. Certainly not teaching anything about the art of recording. Fabrice will teach you plenty of the art. Remember... he's an anal Frenchman and that's what you want. LOL and he knows it LOL. You've got to appreciate a guy that stands by his convictions and escargot.

You may have also heard recently that there are numerous universities now offering online degrees? Some courses from some very prestigious universities are actually free. I think even Berklee school of music is offering some kind of online instruction? But then I knew a guy from there that had a Masters and really didn't know squat. Didn't even know what stereo actually sounded like. Honest to God... I mean go figure? And in an expensive high definition control room with a Sony DMP-100 digital console, plenty of API 3124's, Meyer HD-1's, everything that Manley made any was monitoring in Mono for over two years before I came in the door. And I found that quite idiotic. So not sure what that says about Berklee school of music's program? As far as I was concerned, he learned nothing. Good musicians don't always make good engineers regardless of their educational degrees. You either have the ability to think like an engineer or ya don't. And that's not necessarily something you can teach to everybody. Ya have to have a talent first for it. And that's true with anything you do in life. I know I'm certainly not a great singer even though I've done overdubs for numerous rock bands that can't sing their own backup vocals. Sometimes I have to tell them how to play their instruments. It's really amazing when ya get a guy who is a keyboardist with a string synthesizer. And they start to play the string synthesizer like a piano. No no no. When they play it that way, it sounds like a bunch of ducks quacking. And of course sounds nothing like a string track should. And then you tell them to play only the first and second violin tracks maybe the viola and nothing else. Then it sounds like a string track. You have to show them how to crescendo and decrescendo otherwise you get ducks again LOL. And many of these morons have degrees in piano. And they can't think any farther than that they are so limited. And I didn't even put a limiter on them LOL. It's already built into their brain if they had one?

I don't have a brain at least not much of one. And I can prove it!
    Mx. Remy Ann David

4. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

One thing to consider, past Remy's valuable advice, would be to look into some kind of private instruction. If there is a studio located near you that you find has a reputation for releasing a great audio product, then maybe what you want to do is offer the engineer his or her hourly studio rate to teach you in a hands-on environment. The best scenario would be to find someone like that who would be willing to teach you on your own equipment, but you could certainly still learn a lot about EQ, pre amping, gain staging, gain reduction, downward expanders, mic placement and technique, etc., if you were to go to them.

Just don't expect it for free. Good engineers have spent thousands of hours honing their craft, and in some cases, have paid a lot of money and spent valuable time for their own education, so approach them with the respect that a professional like that deserves; don't expect someone to do it for nothing or out of the love in their heart... LOL

If you do find a great engineer who is willing to hire themselves out for private instruction, you'll be amazed at just how much you can learn in just a few hours, if you are really focused, willing to learn, humble, and pay close attention. Will this make you a professional engineer? No. The only thing that will do that is time and experience, but it's a great place to start.

FWIW

-D.