1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

recording drums and stuff

Discussion in 'Drums' started by redskyatnight, Jan 19, 2005.

1. ok so I have a m-audio delta-44 breakout box and Im looking to record drums. Im confused about how to do this, the impression I get is that you have a mic on each peice of the kit and edit the tracks once they are at your comp. like if you cant hear the high-hat on the recording your bring that up a bit, but anyways my question is how do I use 7 or 8 mics to do one recording? do I need one of those patch bay thingys? I know I will need drum mics so any suggestions on those? Im just starting out so thank you for bearing with me.
  2. Todzilla

Todzilla Active Member

May 12, 2003
    Neuse River Watershed
    Home Page:
    First of all, for every microphone, you'll need a channel of preamp and a channel of A/D conversion on your breakout box (not sure, does your Delta have 4 channels?).

Also, I would strongly caution you not to try a gazillion mics (7 or 8 is very tricky). It's a lot easier to use 3 or 4 . There are fewer problems troubleshooting. Do a search on "recorderman" and "drums" and you'll find a really cool way to record great sounding drums with 3 mics.

BTW, it also helps to have nice microphones, nice preamps and mostly importantly, a good drummer playing nice drums, tuned nicely and played in a nice sounding space.

Good Luck.
  3. thank you I will work on getting the suggested things