1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

recording drums

Discussion in 'Drums' started by abmac, Sep 13, 2005.

1. abmac

abmac Guest

I will be recording drums for a project that I'm doing, and i think due to budget and what I have available I have to use this setup:

audix drum mics(snare, hi hat, 2 toms, kick, 2 overheads)>yamaha mixer into my Tascam US-122. Im using Sonar 4 producer edition. I would prefer to use seperate tracks for each but like I said thats not really possible.

Can anyone see any fatal problems with this setup before I set everything up and realize it wont work.

Any suggestions to get this setup to its highest potential(on a very low budget) would be appreciated.
  2. TheArchitect

TheArchitect Active Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Whats limiting the number of tracks?

A good recording can be done with just 2-3 mics depending on what sound you are looking for.
  3. PhiloBeddoe

PhiloBeddoe Guest

The Tascam US-122 only has two inputs, so it limits the tracks into Sonar.

It sounds to me like you have plenty of mics, you just have to get a good mix on your Yamaha mixer. Easier said than done, of course.

You haven't specified which Audix mics you have and where you'll use them.

You also haven't said what the drum kit consists of. For example, if it's a 5 piece with 3 toms, I'd lean towards micing all the toms individually and not using a hi-hat mic if you're short on mics.

Read up on methods for setting up the overhead mics to avoid phasing and getting a good stereo image if you haven't already. x/y is the most basic. You can get decent drum sounds from just overheads and a kick mic. Focus on these for your mix.
  4. abmac

abmac Guest

I'll be using an "Audix Fusion Series 6-Piece Drum Mic Pack"(not the greatest but I'm poor and I can use these for free) I also have a Shure SM81 to stick somewhere if I need it. The set is a 4 piece which consists of Snare, tom, floor tom, kick. Plus the regular Hi-hat, crash, and ride.

I should have plenty of mics its just a matter of placement.
  5. Lonewalker

Lonewalker Active Member

Aug 1, 2005
    if you can't get a good sound with those mics, something's wrong. They're not the best, but they're damn good, especially for the price. Make sure your drums sound good 1st and foremost. Play around with mic placement and the room around you as well.
  6. MilesAway

MilesAway Guest

Have you considered renting out a stand-alone recorder with 4-8 inputs? Shouldn't cost much (>$50 for sure) to rent for a day or two and will give you MUCH more flexability than a 2-track stereo mixdown for your drums.
  7. timtu

timtu Guest

I often have to run my mics for the kick drum, overheads and snare etc. through a mixer - level it all and run it into a stereo track. Play around and get it good.