1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Recording Guitar using Direct Input

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by mtb1222, Jan 31, 2012.

1. mtb1222

mtb1222 Active Member

Hi all,

I'm a jazz guitarist trying to record a few tunes to post on my website. I've used iMovie but the sound quality is just terrible. I don't have any mics, but my Acoustic Image Clarus 2 Series 4 has a Direct Out option (XLR). I would like to record DI but am unsure about how to go about doing so. I assume I need to purchase an audio interface, but don't know which one to buy given my current setup. I have a MacBook (6 years old) running on Snowleopard. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mat

2. Flyinace1

Flyinace1 Active Member

If you are just recording a single instrument you can buy a 2 channel interface. You will need a DI box if u wish to just go direct (those aren't too expensive) and then plug your guitar 1/4" into the DI box and XLR from the box to the interface. I would also suggest recording into audacity instead of iMovie, its free and pretty good for the basics.

3. mtb1222

mtb1222 Active Member

Thanks. My amp (Acoustic Image Clarus) has a direct out feature...doesn't this replace a DI box or do I still need one?

4. Flyinace1

Flyinace1 Active Member

yes it would so scratch the DI box from my suggestion