1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Recording hierarchy?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by EricIndecisive, Feb 28, 2012.

1. EricIndecisive

EricIndecisive Active Member

What do you think is the hierarchy when recording? I guess for some things it's obvious. But in terms of gear, I don't ever have a whole lot of money at one time, so I'm trying to figure out what would be the next best purchase. Sorry if there is a thread on this already... These are how I imagine it, though I don't really know at all. Would love to hear some opinions from the pros!

1. Performance
    2. Instruments
    3. Room
    4. Microphones
    5. Interface / preamp
    6. ?

I really want to know, because I know that I need monitors instead of computer speakers. I also need a new acoustic! But would I benefit from a better interface or better microphones?

Then in terms of mixing I suppose it would be the skill of the mixer and the monitors.

2. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

There's a simple way to answer this question. It goes like this. Q. Can you get a decent sound out of the acoustic with the gear you already have? If yes then move on to the next segment.....if no then theres your answer. pt.2: Q. Would a better sound from your monitors result in an easing of work for you to achieve a decent mix? If yes then there's your answer, if no then return to question one.

3. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

The only part I think that is almost always right is "performance." "Instruments" is close because it's part of performance. (But put a great player on a POS and don't worry about the sound.) You can choose the mics and position to overcome the room and a great room can make up for some crappy mics, so that ranking is not clear. I agree that interface/preamps is below all the other factors....usually.

In terms of "what should I spend money on"... probably a pretty good list. In terms of the specific microphone/interface question...analog is alway a better long term investment than digital. Good microphones will be good ten/twenty years from now; what was the best interface in 1992? With that said - it might be that the interface is the best purchase in the short term.

4. EricIndecisive

EricIndecisive Active Member

Thanks guys!

My firepod has served me well, I can't deny that. But it has 8 inputs, and I only ever use 2 of them. I don't have room for a drumkit, and I have a good setup with friends where I can get a live performance in MIDI format.

I am very basic - only recording myself. I multi-track every song. So short term is probably not a bad thing. I would love to find a high quality 2 channel interface that has some solid preamps, and it seems like the only one I can find is the RME Fireface 400, which is about $900 used! Or would I be better off getting something like the firestudio mobile and then building one of the preamps from 7th circle audio? This stuff is all so confusing to me haha. I used to actually write music, now I just look up what I think I need on the internet...