1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

recording jazz trio in "live" room

Discussion in 'Recording' started by lehmanjc, Feb 9, 2002.

1. lehmanjc

lehmanjc Active Member

I will be recording a friend at school who has a jazz trio (piano, drums, bass) in our preformance hass, which is a rather "live", but good sounding room.

The equiptment I will have access to is as follows:

-2 SM81

-8 Sennheiser microphones that a friend is bringing (i'm not sure about the specific model number, but they are small diaphram condensers in the $400-700 range)

-Soundcraft Venue console

-SM91 (I know this mic is used in reinforcement for kick drum, but what about jazz recordings? Do I even need a kick mic?)

-ADAT 8ch.

Do you have any advice for mic placement. Should I use and room mics? Should I mic the piano several feed in front or should have close mic it? I have read several posts in this forum, but i'm trying to get as much info as possible.

We are going for a Marcus Roberts Trio/Dave Brubeck quartet sound.

Thanks for your help and advice,
    Joel

2. hargerst

hargerst Active Member

I'd probably use two mics on the piano, a mic on the bass, and four mics on the drums (2 overheads, plus a mic for the kick and a mic for the snare). That's seven tracks. If it's a nice sounding room, the last track would be for a room mic.

3. FifthCircle

FifthCircle Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I'd go with two mics on the piano (high end/low end), 1 microphone on the bass (positioned on the high-strings side just over the bridge), a stereo pair in x-y in front of the set and perhaps a kick to suplement it.

For the drums, I position the microphones about a foot to 1.5 feet in front of the set beneath the cymbals and over the toms "looking" at the snare. With careful placement, you can really get a great open drum sound (and let the drummer control his or her sound).

This brings us to 6 channels... If you like, you can also area mic the ensemble with a stereo pair to help fill out the sound. Be aware, though, if you put up a stereo pair, your imaging with the spot mics will have to be close to what the stereo pair is showing or it will sound really strange. I tend to pan as you see, anyways- Piano basically on the left, bass in center, drums towards the right. I guess it is sort of an old-school approach.

Good luck and have fun!

--Ben

4. sign

sign Guest

Hi Joel

I have gotten some pretty good advice on this thread too:

(Dead Link Removed)

Have fun!