1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Recording live shows...

Discussion in 'Recording' started by johnthemainliner, Mar 25, 2004.

1. My buddies and I are playing some small shows in the upcoming months. I'm thinking it would be neat to have some live recordings, but I am unsure of the best way to go about it. I can't really afford to invest anymore cash in equipment, I've spent too much as it is... and of course quality is important, but it is a live show, and we're just a little cleveland based band, i don't need immaculate results. id be most interested in setting up a remote recording platform, isolated from the stage pa and such, mainly because i just dont have the connectivity to go through the pa (behringer pmx2000) for each channel. i will be using the following...

my laptop,
    motu 828 interface
    hanful of mics

can this be done? anyways, ill just lay it out for you guys. id appreciate any responses i get.

2. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

If you have three omni condensors, you could set up a Decca Tree configuration and send the 3 tracks to the laptop...

Then perhaps a line form the PA to capture the vocals.. You may need to take this from an aux send or a bus to isolate the vocals from the rest of the PA "mix".

Last a line from the bass amp to help with getting the deep lows and keep the bass from sounding too distant and washed out.

If you do not know what a Decca Tree is punch up a Google search.