1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Recording Loud Metal Vocals - Not Growls

Discussion in 'Vocals' started by Skyweaver, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Skyweaver

Skyweaver Guest

G'day All,

I'm recording second album and due to producer moving, I've decided to take on the production myself....

I have a great Guitar, Bass and Drum sound and just about to work on Vocals, (pre-production is finished.)

I'm using Nuendo and looking to get a decent mic and mic pre to record with, have a great room - just need the vocal hardware.

I do the old school Dio, Dickinson, Halford type vocals - if you check the track http://www.luthor.info/Skyweaver.mp3 you can hear the vocals from first recording.

Budget is not really a concern, just want would be the best quality gear, if I'm going to buy a mic pre and mic - I'd be keen to spend what ever it takes to get the best sound.

Any suggestions, recommendations would be great.

2. John Stafford

John Stafford Well-Known Member

You will hear many different opinions about the Neumann TLM-103, but I think it can be a great mic for the type of vocal you're talking about.

It's often very good on hard rock but melodic male vocalists. I don't know what it is about it, but it can sometimes get you THAT sound. While this is definitely a try-before-you-buy mic, it would be a shame to overlook it.

John Stafford

3. heltorn

heltorn Guest

!

awesome
    how far along did you get with the second album?
    non growling metal rules