1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Recording mono from stereo virtual inst. source?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by RockNRoll, Sep 23, 2008.

1. RockNRoll

RockNRoll Active Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Hello all,

This is a general question I had regarding choosing between stereo or mono output when using virtual instruments/synths. For example, when using an application like Stylus RMX that has numerous kick grooves, one would probably want to ultimately print it as a mono track. However, Stylus RMX only seems to output in stereo, as do a lot of other virtual instruments in general it seems. In such a case, I may just simply set the Stylus RMX stereo output to bus 1-2, and then record-enable a new mono track to record just one of those channels, in this case, either bus 1 or bus 2.

My first question is: Is there anything wrong or incorrect in using this method to record a mono track from the stereo source of Stylus RMX?

I guess I could technically just record the kick groove as a stereo audio track rather than mono, however, for mixing purposes or for making the kick track seem more solid and focused, would it better that certain musical parts such as a kick or a bass line be ultimately recorded in mono?

Thanks for any feedback and insight!