1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Recording Phone Service Vocals

Discussion in 'Vocals' started by Dan Theman, Mar 8, 2011.

  1. Dan Theman

    Dan Theman Active Member

    Ok, so here is the deal.

    I am recording the voice for a companies Phone Messaging System, their phone company is telling me that the recording needs to be in CCITT u-law, 8.000khz, 8 Bit, Mono format. I am using Cubase 5 to record and i have tried this:

    I tried exporting the recorded file as the 8.000khz, 8 bit, mono with cubase and there was this static noise in the background that came with it. The regular format export was fine.

    I also tried this, i exported it as a high quality .wav and coverted it with switch coverter to 8.000khz, 8bit, mono. This was clear and no static but when the voice said S's is sounds as if he has a strong lisp (which there is no lisp on the original copy)

    Are there certain techniques i could use to help this? or software to fix this? or am i doing something totally wrong?

    I am unable to post samples yet, I will have to wait till later tonight when i get home.
     
  2. Boswell

    Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

    We had a thread about this sort of thing a couple of years back. Here.
     
  3. Big K

    Big K Well-Known Member

    Producing those rediculous and superfluid stoneage 8 bit / 8 kHz recordings is frustrating.
    3 years ago I had such a job... gagagagaaaa..
    The well recorded voices were raped into this dreadful format and it always sounded bad.
    With 8 bit / 8kHz there is not much space left for nicely articulated, open S-es.
    Try to emphasize the "S-es" slightly below their regular frequency. That should milden the lisp a bit.
    Don't expect any HiFi sound...
     
  4. Dan Theman

    Dan Theman Active Member

    Thanks a lot guys, it worked out pretty well. I will post it when i can, the S's still sound a bit like that but everyone else says its fine.

    I recoreded the vocals exported it at 44.1kHz and then converted it with Switch Sound Coverter to 8.000kHz and it sounded fine with no static.
     

Share This Page