1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Recording problem Once Again

Discussion in 'Recording' started by GsusOne, Mar 12, 2008.

1. GsusOne

GsusOne Guest

Okay I have my delta 1010LT sound card with my mic hooked up through the XLR plugs now the only problem is when I record it records mono not stereo apparently the sound card has two XLR plugs MIC 1 and MIC 2, MIC 1 records thru the right side MIC 2 the left dont know what the deal is is there any way I can config it to be stereo? Ive checked through my settings on my delta found nothing to work and Im using Sonar 6 nothing in their either any help would be appreciated thanx

2. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Well-Known Member

It does have 2 XLR sockets. What connector is on the mic and is the mic even a stereo mic?

3. GsusOne

GsusOne Guest

The mic is a Samson Q7 which is a stereo MIC and yes the sound Card has two XLR connections and the MIC that has an XLR connection as well, I have a Double male XLR which is what was needed to hook up to my Delta...is their an adapter plug I need or something?

4. Space

Space Well-Known Member

"...cables are tan in color, with the jacks colored white for left and red for right"

Mic 1=White = Left/Mono
    Mic 2=Red = Right

5. bent

bent No Bad Vibes! Well-Known Member

Setup in Sonar:

Track 1 = Input: Mic 1
    Track 2 = Input: Mic 2

Does that sound right?

6. GsusOne

GsusOne Guest

But I only have one mic to hook up and I want it to be stereo

Bent: Im trying to set that up right now

7. GsusOne

GsusOne Guest

Oh crap its male to female XLRs Im sorry about that one

8. bent

Just to be sure, that mic does indeed have two XLR connectors (or tails) on it, correct?

The issue I think is that both are going to both tracks in Sonar.

Ya gotta set each side up as a discreet input channel in the DAW - that's about all there is to it.

9. GsusOne

GsusOne Guest

the MIC only has one XLR connection but the sound card has 2

10. bent

Not gonna happen, that's not a stereo mic.

Samson Q7: http://www.zzounds.com/item--SAMQ7

11. GsusOne

GsusOne Guest

but it worked on my stock "sound card" if you will Ive recorded songs with this before and it was all stereo....I used xlr to 1/4 mic input...so is there no way around this? are there plugs with one female XLR to 2 male XLRs?

What would you use a mono mic for anyways...

it has 3 pins

12. bent

It is a standard super-cardiod handheld dynamic (mono) mic.
    You never recorded "stereo" with this mic.

http://

13. HansAm

HansAm Active Member

You are confusing your self.

You have 1 signal of audio from your mic. NO STEREO SIGNAL.

You want to mix the signal as if it is stereo?
    You will be able to do that. read up on "panning".

If you want to make a TRUE stereo recording you need two microphones, one in each of you XLR inputs. then PAN each one to opposite sides.

If its unclear we/I can post some screenshots that will clarify.

14. bent

Methinks someone needs to read the definition of stereo.

One source through two speakers does not stereo make...

15. GsusOne

GsusOne Guest

yeah snap shots would be nice...Im out of it at this point because I have tried to pan it all the way to the left to see if it would transfer but all it did was clear the all sound......another thing is when I had my mic hooked to a 1/4 mic input to my comp it worked through both speakers all the time without panning I dont know man this is :x frustrating thought everything was good to go

16. bent

17. bent

I don't have time to tell you how to correct your thinking and move you on into a better recording state of mind. It's too late here on the east coast. Maybe I'll come back to you tomorrow and throw some info at you.

18. GsusOne

GsusOne Guest

well what I meant was it worked through both speakers before and I didnt have to tweak with anything so what evers clever man

19. bent

That's not stereo, man.

20. GsusOne

GsusOne Guest

thanx for the sites tho homie I appreciate it you get your beauty rest so tomorrow you can help me elevate my mindset

and I know thats not stereo thats why I said this is what I meant instead of using the word stereo......