1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Recording Question HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Recording' started by N2004, Apr 27, 2008.

1. N2004

N2004 Guest

Hi i curently have the tascam 2488. i was wondering if i could hook up my computer to the tascam by usb cordand if i could do this i want to by pro tools to edit my music is this possible im kinda new at recording.

2. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

No, this is not possible.

(A) The Tascam 2488 does not output its digital audio via USB. You might be able to use an S/PDIF connection from the 2488 if your computer has an S/PDIF input.

(B) ProTools will not recognize any audio interfaces other than those manufactured by DigiDesign (and their subsiduary M-Audio).

So one route would be to use simple software such as Audacity to capture the S/PDIF audio from the 2488 and write it to .wav files. Alternatively, you could use the 2488 to burn CDs which you transfer to the computer and copy to the computer hard disk. You could then use PT to import the files and perform the post processing.

If you really want to get into using ProTools, dump the 2488 and instead budget for a PT package that includes DigiDesign or M-Audio hardware. However, my recommendation is that you use audio processing software other than PT, as this gives you the freedom to upgrade to interface hardware of your choice.

3. hueseph

hueseph Well-Known Member

"High-speed USB 2.0 jack connects to PC or MacĀ® for data backup and SMF/WAV file" - from Zzounds.

Apparently you can export wav via the usb port. Is this not true?

4. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Interesting. The 2488 I had to use a couple of years back didn't have a USB port, and I had to transfer data by burning CDs. It looks like the latest ones have USB, but it still doesn't make them recognizable by ProTools.

5. hueseph

hueseph Well-Known Member

True but I suppose if he was dead set on it he could buy the $250.00 dongle that comes with PTLE and import everything.