1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Recording small jazz combo.

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Don Caballero, Oct 1, 2005.

1. Hey, I'm recording a small jazz combo in an untreated garageish room and don't really know how I should mic them. The first and so far only thing I tried was using one condensor as a room mic, which by itself got an ok sound. I placed it in the middle of the room by the sax player, the bass amp and drummer where in the corner of the room (pretty big garage). The combo is an electric bass player, sax, and drummer. I'm thinking maybe use two room mics, one by the sax and the other by the bass and drums and use some light compression while tracking. Would this be a good idea? The room has alot of natural reverb.

Any techniques or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. stickers

stickers Active Member

How many tracks can you record at once?

I would mic the sax, bass, and drums.

If I had only 4 mics to work with, id probably use 2 mics on drums which ever method captures the kit best and then mic the sax and bass.

If only 2 mics then you can try a stereo set up and just change the location of the player to sit where you want in the stereo feild (left/right/near far/)

Obviously, the more mics you use the more options you have later on.

3. I only have two sdc, a 57, and a beta 52 to use for this.

4. stickers

stickers Active Member

Donny boy..i just tried IMing you!! now dammit respond. rwstick76

5. stickers

stickers Active Member

ya know whats the point of listen your AIM when you dont ever respond....

6. stickers

stickers Active Member

angry stickers...try my aim: swix76

7. timtu

timtu Guest

I would use the 57 in the bass drum, with a condenser over the kit, the 52 for the bass and the other sdc for the sax though im not sure if that would do the sax any good.

8. gtrsoloist9

gtrsoloist9 Guest

you might want to use the sdc's as a stereo ORTF pair, then maybe the 52 on bass. worth a shot. i just recorded a combo at a local club for school w/ a ORTF pair of KSM141's in cardioid and it turned out pretty well. placement will be the key.

chris