1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

recording straight to external HD

Discussion in 'Recording' started by semicntrldchaos, Mar 4, 2007.

1. hey guys i was wondering how i can record straight to my external Hard drive while using pro tools. Right now i am recording to my systems hard drive but it was just for my first project and now for this second one i would like to do things the right way! Thanks in advance!!!

2. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Mac? PC?

Either way, an external FireWire drive is probably the way to go. Avoid USB external drives, especially with PCs, as they can give problems with streaming audio.

3. definatley a mac w/ osx it is a usb HD by western digital

4. gdoubleyou

gdoubleyou Well-Known Member

Be aware that USB2 only gets close to it's top speed in short bursts, firewire has a higher sustaine throughput.

8)

5. looks like my next buy will be the firewire drive then. But my main question is how i can directly record to the drive instead of the system drive?

6. gdoubleyou

gdoubleyou Well-Known Member

You should have a preference in Pro Tools, that selects the recording path.

For details check out the User group at the Digidesign site.
    And/or read the manual.

8)

7. TVPostSound

TVPostSound Guest

Definitely DO NOT record to the system drive.

When you create a new PT session, there will be an option to select a
    drive. There is also a drop down windo in the session to selectively pick a drive for each track.

Seriously read the manual.

8. thanks a bunch guys i will do more research and hopfully conquer this problem. I dont have the computer in front of me so i cant rem exactly what it was saying but i think it was saying that the drive was not set for recording or playing back. I will check into it further though. Thanks so much