Recording Strings - Miking Suggestions

Discussion in 'Strings' started by TanTan, Dec 25, 2004.

1. TanTan

TanTan Distinguished Member

Hi all ,

I want your opinions about a specific recording session .
    I'm recording a new album for a very well known old-school pop singer , and we are going to record strings on Monday , there are 10 philharmonic strings players :
    2x 1st Violin
    2x 2nd Violin
    2x Violas
    2x Cellos

The studio is a wooden floor and wooden ceiling , the dimensions are 3x6 meters (but only 3x4 meters is a recording space) and 5 meters(!) hight (with a nice angel) , i have another small (2x3) room ,but i'm think i'll record all the players at the same room for that bleed ...

I need your opinions about miking this sessions , i thought about an x\y miking configuration about one meter from the first line of players and 2.5 meter hight,
    I have good mikes choices but i only have a pair of c451's (i also have a Lawson47 , a 414btl-2 , Neumann 103 ,ck1 and lots of dynamic mikes available).

Thank you !!! :wink:

2. johnthemiracle

johnthemiracle Active Member

you could also try ms with the 103 and the 414, might sound better than the 451's....

3. golli

golli Active Member

Here is a more specific forum for this kind of recording:

http://www.recording.org/forum-43.html

Not that this is'nt a good forum though :cool:

4. TanTan

TanTan Distinguished Member

I'll try to do ms mode with the lawson l47 and the 414 , but do you guys think i should do this recording using more mikes ? i mean after all it's for a pop album although the strings doesn't have to cut through ... and i prefer the acoustic bleed on some few more channels on the desk 8)