1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

reducing harshness, buzzing of acoustic guitar

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by James B, Jul 21, 2012.

1. James B

James B Active Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Did a live recording recently of a friend playing acoustic guitar in a club. Was able to get a clean feed off the PA into my ZOOMH4N.

Can anyone suggest some best practices when working with acoustic guitar in Audition or similar DAW?
    What compression, equalization should I use?
    How can I reduce some of the harshness and 'buzzing' sounds the strings make?
  2. Ethan Winer

Ethan Winer Active Member

Mar 19, 2001
    New Milford, CT USA
    Home Page:
    I don't know if compression will be useful on a live acoustic guitar, but EQ can help. Harshness is generally tamed by cutting somewhere in the range of 2 to 4 KHz with a Q of 2 or higher.

3. hueseph

hueseph Distinguished Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    James: you should post an example. Some buzz is to be expected and sometimes adds to the character. If you're talking about distortion however, it's more challenging. There are some tools to help remove some of the clipping but they are not cheap and I don't know of any that are free. Izotope's RX comes to mind. Levels really should be set before it goes to disc.