1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Reducing the level of line out

Discussion in 'Electronic Repairs & Modifications, DIY' started by funkytwig, Aug 19, 2010.

1. funkytwig

funkytwig Active Member

Aug 7, 2010
    I have a PalmTrack portable digital recorder but the line in is far too sensitive and I get lots of level peaking. Is there a simple inline gadget that can be used to reduce the level?

2. bouldersound

bouldersound Real guitars are for old people. Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Boulder, Colorado
    Are you sure you're using the line input rather than the mic input?

Have you tried turning down the recording volume?

Can you turn down the source?

A possible solution would be to build an attenuating cable, with a voltage dividing circuit. I'm a bit fuzzy on the details, but my instinct says a 100k resistor in series with each positive conductor would do it.
  3. dvdhawk

dvdhawk Moderator Resource Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Western Pennsylvania, USA
    There are lots of attenuator cables and devices out there with different levels of attenuation if you need them. Search Markertek or someplace like that, since we have no idea what your source is.
  4. Boswell

Boswell Distinguished Moderator Resource Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Home Page:
    What are you recording from? The Palm Track has an input level control ("Rec Vol") that operates on both the mic and line inputs, and it would be surprising if you exceeded the capacity of that. However, if you are tapping off the speaker terminals of a 1KW guitar amp, you may need an external attenuator before going into the Palm Track line input.