1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

remix tools

Discussion in 'Recording' started by dymaxian, Nov 7, 2003.

1. dymaxian

dymaxian Guest

Greetings! I've been toying with the idea of remixing a few popular music pieces, but I'm sure I don't have the tools to do it. The thing I notice in the underground remixing world is how easy it seems for them to separate instruments from the original tracks.

For example, when I hear some of the remixes of Switchblade Symphony songs, the vocals have been isolated completely from the old music. I don't think that the original music's multi-tracks have been released to the world at large, so how do people isolate that stuff from a stereo mix?

I'm probably the last person in the world to find out about this stuff, so I apologize if this is a dumb question. My focus has been recording of heavy-metal bands, so I haven't had much use for tools like these.

2. sserendipity

sserendipity Guest

I'm afraid there are no such tools. If you are hearing isolated tracks, then those tracks have been released to the producers of the remix.
  3. dymaxian

dymaxian Guest

That's what I was afraid of. I've seen ads for softwareplug-insthat will remove voice from a commercial CD or stereo track, but I've not heard them in action so I don't know how cleanly they can do this. I just figured if they could remove the voice cleanly, they could leave the voice and remove the rest...

*sigh* Oh well. Least I know people won't be messing with my mixes too easily...

"to hell with the CD sales- download the MP3s and come to the shows!"
  4. falkon2

falkon2 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2003
    BS ads targetted at consumers. Basically taking the difference between L and R so that the center channel is eliminated. That's vocals, along with everything else in the center - kick, snare. It never works the way you want it to. You still hear the reverbs/panned delay leftover from the vocal tracks too.

You probably could dig out the instrument you want to a certain degree of success - you can't make everything else disappear completely, but if you could make what you want louder in comparison to everything else, perhaps it would be acceptable enough for use in a remix (of course, depending on the style and content of the remix as well).