1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

audio Remixed on Cubes

Discussion in 'Fix This MIX!' started by audiokid, Feb 12, 2015.

1. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I wasn't happy with my daughters last mix so I remixed it. There is something to be said around mixing to the bass in pop music. I tried a new approach and think I discovered something valuable through this..
    Also, completely mixed this through Cubes.

If you can remember what the comments before we lost some posts from our database crashing the other day, and get passed it being her first song ever singing, here is the new mix. Thanks for listening and sharing comments on the sound.

Before:

After

2. audiokid

audiokid Staff

My goal on this has been to learn how to improve bass in a busy mix. I'm now thinking a sidechain on the kick/bass would really complete that bottom end. The kick is a bit dominant in spots. I want the two to gel a bit more.

I want the bass freq to reach below the kick on this but still allow the kick to have that in your face thing. I have to admit, its tough doing this.

I'm going to post another example where i use this effect. The beauty of ITB compression is whats comes next.
    Any tips on this, please share!

3. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Added a touch of bass and sidechain bass on kick

4. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Same mix as above with a bit more hpf on the bass

5. Smashh

Smashh Active Member

Hey Chris , Thats awesome mixing your daughters' song .
    I got headphones and the mix that had the best bass vibe here was the 2nd one on this thread ( after )
    It had more definition for me and the subby vibe as well (y)

Chris likes this.
  6. ClarkJaman

ClarkJaman Active Member

"It's a love and hate relation between pain and success." I like that! Did she do all the music herself? Sounds good. :)

Chris likes this.
  7. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

I'll check it out on my studio mons when I get home later today. Looking forward to hearing it. ;)

8. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Thanks, She wrote the lyrics, piano and sang. The lyric are perfect for the Canada Winter Games. We're getting great feedback now.

I'm liking these mixes a lot more. # 2 on this one? Should I make it the Master?

I've never mixed solely on cubes. You can hardly hear the subs so its easy to over do it. But, the mids don't lie. I'm going to try and remember what i did on this last mix!
    Thanks for the input, this project is really important.

9. DonnyThompson

Chris...

I listened to every version that you've posted this far. I like the most recent version the best. Nice, tight definition on the bass, great space and depth.

The only thing I would point out is that I am hearing a bit of sibilance here and there on your daughter's vocal track. I don't know if this something you've already heard - but decided to keep because it's acceptable for more current vocal production trends - or if you maybe hadn't heard it yet.

I'm hearing it the most around 1:23 and 1:39 - and maybe I'm just being picky. It could also just be me - I seem to be ultra sensitive to sibilance these days, for whatever reason. I guess I'm suggesting that you take another listen and listen for what I'm hearing. If it's okay on your end, then it's just me. As I said, I seem to be super-sensitive to sibilance these days. I can't even tell you why. I wish I could.

Everything else sits very nicely. I can see where this song would have gotten the interest it did. It's upbeat, positive, energetic and youthful, and just as importantly, the recording sounds great. Not to downgrade your daughter's contribution, because she did a great job, but I'm sure that one of the reasons they are attracted to it, is because if it is chosen, they won't have to do anything to it. It's ready for broadcast right now.

Check that section fr vocal sibilance - let me know if it's really there or if it's just me.

Nice job to both of you. ;)

10. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Cool thanks! Its getting a real buzz.
    The sibilance is there. She sang this with a mouth full of braises lol. Poor kid, I was on her as much as she could take without killing her vibe. They are off now and she talks so much better too!
    This has been such a motivating song and experience for her.
    After the big VIP opening today she came down to the studio and gave me a big kiss telling me how much she loved the music business.
    I'm a happy Dad today.

11. DonnyThompson

Ultimately, the vibe is far more important than worrying about the occasional hype'd "S". You did the right thing. ;)

12. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Indeed.!

I actually used our Object dessing method in Sequoia to remove them as much as I could ( love that) without it being noticeable. Braises are wicket ess and sluring creators.
    I am also using bit distortion on the background vox which is some of what you hear but it added the youthful grit that is one of those "tradeoffs".

Thanks again. I've printed a few dozen now.

13. DonnyThompson

I get that bit distortion is part of the modern sound, and understand why you used it. I've been waiting for a chance to experiment with it myself, I just haven't had an opportunity yet arise where it would be useful. The style I'm working with these days is that "very smooth" sounding style, reminiscent of late 70's AOR; artists and bands like Rundgren, Ambrosia, Player, Gino Vanelli, Pablo Cruise, etc., are all pretty similar to the music styles I'm working with right now. I don't think that bit distortion would play into these styles, but, maybe I'm wrong? I'm certainly willing to keep an open mind and be told differently. ;)

I love Samp/Sequoia's object based editing for de-essing. In fact, since I started using Samp Pro X, I haven't used a de-essing plug since... not once.

It's so much nicer to be able to zone in on just the sibilance and either reduce the level, EQ just that part, or, do both.

It sounds so much more natural, because unlike a de-esser, it's not also removing those pleasing frequencies that exist around the culprit frequencies, those frequencies that you want to keep.

Samp's Object Editing is perfect for this.

:)

14. kendo radnaksi

kendo radnaksi Active Member

Hi chris..I like the sound you mix..is it itb samplitude or summing out with analog gear?thanx

15. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Thanks. ITB on Samplitude / Sequoia.

16. kendo radnaksi

Any mastering done yet or raw mix?kind of big headrooms...

17. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Do you mean, am I going to brickwall it past this point so it sounds like this and the wave file looks more like a flat line like this: _____________?

Attached Files:

18. kendo radnaksi

Sorry for late reply..I m located in asia..I just wants to know whether the song you posted is only mix version and havent been mastered..I like the way it sound..big and nice headroom..I m using protools 7 before but drop it and changed to logic instead..but I like the way samplitude sounded when bounce in the box...at the moment I m into otb with some additional outboards just for trying out and comparing results...

19. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Thank you!

Yes, this is itb and not been mastered by anyone other than me. Samplitude is excellent. It very easy to finish music like this with just Samplitude Pro X 2 or Sequoia 13. No addition outboard hardware needed.

20. kendo radnaksi

Ok..thanks for the info chris..I ll try out very soon..too bad no mac version..I m clearing some stuff for mininmal set up now..try to sell my lex480 now..I m interested in analog summing now.. I stil have some tc electronics reverb and pcm70 and pcm80..looking forward to buy 500 series and summing box..